Have you ever wondered why Chinese people are so fit and healthy? How come they only have a 5-6% obesity rate? What is their secret? Indeed, their health spell is warm water. They drink hot water as we drink coffee, tea, and soft drinks for life. This simple water drink makes them refreshed and energetic throughout the day. But does drinking hot water help acid reflux?
Is hot water bad for acid reflux? Can you drink hot water when you have acid reflux? Is it helping to cure acid reflux permanently?
In this article, you will find essential facts about hot water for wellness. Also, you will find some incredible benefits of drinking hot water instead of cold water or coffee. Find out for yourself!
Table of Content
- 1 Does Drinking Hot Water Help Acid Reflux?
- 2 Is Warm Water With Honey A Good Acid Reflux Cure?
- 3 Is Warm Water With Lemon Good For Acid Reflux?
- 4 Potential Health Benefit Of Drinking Hot Water In Morning
- 5 What Are The Side Effects Of Drinking Hot Water?
- 6 What Is The Best Water To Drink For Acid Reflux?
- 7 How Many Times To Drink Hot Water In A Day?
- 8 Various Ways To Drink Hot Water
- 9 What Is The Fastest Way To Get Rid Of Acid Reflux?
- 10 How Can I Stop Acid Reflux At Night?
- 11 Water is Life’s Best Friend!
- 12 FAQs
Does Drinking Hot Water Help Acid Reflux?
Drinking warm water for acid reflux helps to soothe its symptoms. Indeed, water is a universal solvent with a neutral pH. Thus it works to lower the acidic content of the stomach.
Besides the acid, it dilutes the stomach contents, preventing overflow into the esophagus. What’s more, it eases the burning sensation and ensures hydration.
Indeed, warm water is thought to be the best way to flush the esophagus and gut from acids and other toxins. It reduces the acidity of the stomach, which is responsible for heartburn or reflux.
Also drinking hot water promotes the prevention of recurrent attacks of acid reflux. It works by making stomach acid less intense.
Also, it maintains the electrolyte balance in the body, which is essential to manage GERD. These electrolytes work to keep the optimum pH level.
Besides, hot water boosts metabolism and eases digestion by lubricating stomach contents. So, it speeds up the removal of food that causes acidity. Moreover, it mixes well with stomach fiber that helps to curb appetite. So, you can limit your food intake.
As well as these benefits, it works to soak up excess stomach acid, preventing its leakage. Thus, it prevents the unpleasant burning sensation and other symptoms.
However, keep in mind that too hot water can aggravate acid reflux symptoms.
Indeed, starting or ending the day with a glass of warm water is a great way to cure acid reflux permanently.
Related article: Is Coconut Milk Good For Acid Reflux?
Is Warm Water With Honey A Good Acid Reflux Cure?
Honey acts as an anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, natural phytonutrient, and antioxidant. These qualities make honey a helpful remedy for acid reflux and GERD.
Antioxidants in honey help fight the free radicals that cause acid reflux. It better coats the mucus membrane of the esophagus, which contributes to long-lasting relief.
Thus, adding honey to warm water is good to reduce and manage heartburn symptoms.
Is Warm Water With Lemon Good For Acid Reflux?
Lemon juice has mixed claims when it comes to treating acid reflux. Experts assert that lemons may worsen the symptoms of GERD since they are citrus fruits. However, others tout lemon juice as a fantastic home remedy to cure heartburn.
So, should you drink warm water with lemon to ward off acid reflux? Well, I’m going to tell you!
In spite of the lemon’s acid content, it alkalizes when mixed with water in small amounts. Hence, it helps neutralize stomach acid and thereby reduces reflux.
If your goal is to cure GERD with warm water and lemon, you should mix 1 teaspoon of lemon juice with 8 ounces of hot water.
Despite this, avoid consuming too much lemon water and lemons. Otherwise, you will likely suffer the following effects:
- Tooth decay
Potential Health Benefit Of Drinking Hot Water In Morning
Water makes up 60% of the human body. Therefore, maintaining water levels is necessary to survive. We take water from the tap, juices, tea, or any other beverage to accomplish this.
While the water of any temperature is beneficial, hot water can multiply its benefits.
Indeed, health experts claim that drinking hot water in the morning promotes long-term health. Here is a list of some potential benefits of drinking hot water in the morning:
- Drinking water in the morning helps to rehydrate the body.
- Hot water helps to speed up the process of digestion.
- Also, it helps to get rid of constipation and regulate bowel movement.
- Drinking hot or warm water instead of cold water promotes stomach health.
- Moreover, hot water acts as a vasodilator. It means it dilates blood vessels and improves blood circulation. Moreover, relax the muscles and reduce muscle pains.
- Also, drinking hot water with lemon in the morning may promote weight loss.
- In case of injury, drinking hot water may offer internal pain relief.
- Additionally, hot water works for curing colds and flu.
- Drinking hot water can relieve depression and anxiety better than tea or coffee.
- Besides these, hot water may help relieve the symptoms of achalasia.
Related to read: Stomach Pain After Drinking Water
What Are The Side Effects Of Drinking Hot Water?
Drinking hot water offers many benefits for health, but it may have some adverse effects as well. Some of these negative effects include:
- Hot water can damage the tissues if consumed at extreme temperatures. It can burn your mouth, scald your tongue, and burn your taste buds. It can even burn your lips and cause minor burns. First, it is best to take a small sip to check the temperature rather than gulping it down whole.
- Intake of excess hot water before bedtime may lead to frequent urination, which may interfere with sleep.
- Drinking excessive amounts of hot water may increase blood volume. Unnecessary pressure may become a problem for your brain and blood vessels.
- Consuming hot water when you are not thirsty may disrupt the body’s water balance. You could become dehydrated.
- Water from rusted pipes or cans can contain heavy metals such as lead, aluminum, chromium, etc.
What Is The Best Water To Drink For Acid Reflux?
When trying to calm your burning heart with water, make sure you avoid acidic or preservative fluids that may trigger stomach acids. You can drink the following types of water to reduce acid reflux and GERD:
Water, whether it comes from the tap or is filtered, can help GERD and acid reflux. Water dilutes the acidic content in the esophagus, thereby relieving heartburn.
When you drink water right after a hearty meal, your GERD might be more severe.
You should take small sips with each meal. That way, digestion is much easier. More importantly, drinking water can help digestion.
Alkaline water has a pH of about 9, whereas pure water has a pH of 7, considered neutral (not acidic nor alkaline). Alkaline water is one of the best treatments to cure acid reflux.
It reduces the acidity of the gut and immediately denatures any pepsin resulting in its permanent inactivation. In the same way as antacids, it helps control the symptoms of acid reflux.
Alkaline water has superior acid buffering capability when compared to plain water.
Coconut water is another effective drink to minimize the effect of acid reflux. Like alkaline water, it is also alkaline, which promotes the neutralization of stomach acid. Also, it contains healthy electrolytes, which maintain the body’s pH level.
Besides controlling acid reflux and GERD, coconut water promotes healthy skin and stomach.
How Many Times To Drink Hot Water In A Day?
Water is essential to stay hydrated. It doesn’t matter whether you drink warm or cold water, but drinking plenty of water for a healthy life is necessary.
According to the Institute of Medicine, women should take in 78 ounces (2.3 liters) of water each day, while men should drink 112 ounces (3.3 liters).
You can get this amount of water from fruits, vegetables, and other beverages. Also, you need more water if you’re a nursing mom, to be a mum, work out, or live in a hot climate.
Start your day with a glass of hot water and end it with a second glass. Almost everybody’s function depends on water, so its value cannot be overstated.
Various Ways To Drink Hot Water
Drinking hot water is easy once you get into the habit. Start your day with boiled water. Instead of coffee or tea, you can try hot water with lemon. In addition, you can also put dried herbal leaves in warm water to improve the health of your stomach and body.
For acid reflux, you can take herbs with anti-inflammatory properties. Here are some practical ways to get involved in hot water.
A small dose of ginger works as an anti-inflammatory in the body. Ginger can soothe the stomach lining and reduce stomach acid production.
Ginger contains phenolic compounds that relieve gastrointestinal irritation and relax gastric muscles. Nonetheless, if you consume in excess, it may exacerbate your reflux condition.
Adding ginger to hot water or drinking ginger tea cures acid reflux. Unfortunately, it can’t cure acid reflux or GERD permanently.
Adding licorice to hot water or making its tea is an effective remedy for acid reflux. Licorice contains strong antibacterial and antioxidant properties, making it a valuable stomach herb.
Studies indicate that licorice tea can help prevent and manage acid reflux symptoms.
Slippery Elm Tea
Slippery elm is another product that can be added to hot water as an effective remedy for acid reflux and GERD. The natural properties of slippery elm protect the lining of the stomach and esophagus from acidity.
In addition, this gel works to soothe and heal inflamed gut tissue.
Baking Soda In Water
Baking soda is a popular remedy used to treat gut problems, including indigestion, heartburn, and weird stomachs.
Since its active ingredient is sodium bicarbonate, it can quickly relieve acid reflux. This remedy acts as a powerful antacid and neutralizes stomach acids. So, it offers temporary relief from acid reflux.
However, acid rebound occurs when stomach acid suddenly drops, triggering an increase in stomach acid production. You may experience temporary relief from acid reflux, but it may return worse than before.
Related to read: baking soda good for diabetes?
Side Effects Of Baking Soda For Heartburn
Baking soda in water helps reduce the symptoms of acid reflux, but the effect is temporary and comes with some side effects. Here are some side effects of drinking baking soda water:
- Kidney pain
- Frequent urination
- Tar like stools
- Loss of appetite
Thus, it is recommended to take baking soda water. The recommended dosage for adults is ½ soda in 4 ounces of water. Moreover, try to take small sips. Also, avoid long-term use, particularly if you have GERD or a low-salt diet.
What Is The Fastest Way To Get Rid Of Acid Reflux?
The fastest way to relieve heartburn is to take medicines and make some diet and lifestyle changes. Here are a few effective methods for controlling the symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease.
- Antacids are considered safe and effective in neutralizing stomach acid. Some most effective antacids are; Pepto-Bismol, milk of magnesia, Tums, etc. But, overuse of antacids can cause kidney problems and stomach illness.
- H2 receptor blockers are another treatment method for acid reflux. Even though it is not as effective as antacids, it provides long-lasting relief. The most effective H2 blockers are Pepcid AC, Zantac, Tagamet HB, and Axid AR. But, long-term use can lead to vitamin deficiency and bone weakness.
- Moreover, proton pump inhibitors prevent acid production and heal the esophagus and gut. The most widely used PPIs are Prevacid, Aciphex, Losec, Zegerid, and Protonix. A few side effects include nausea, constipation, flatulence, abdominal pain, and malnutrition.
- Losing weight cures acid reflux since obesity is the leading cause of a defected LES.
- Heartburn symptoms are aggravated by nicotine, caffeine, and other drugs. By quitting smoking and drinking, you can reduce gastroesophageal reflux disease.
- Don’t drink carbonated or sugary drinks as they may cause burping. Instead, you should drink water.
- Avoid food that can trigger your acidity. For instance, eliminate fatty and greasy food, junk food, peppermint and mint, tomatoes, coffee, chocolate, and other acidic drinks and food.
- You should eat your last meal three hours before bed.
- Other considerations include eating natural and fresh foods, eating a small meal sparingly, walking after eating, and avoiding intensive exercise.
- You can consider the surgical process for a permanent cure for severe gastroesophageal reflux disease. Commonly used surgical options include endoscopy, fundoplication, and TIF.
Related to read: How to Cure Acidity Permanently?
How Can I Stop Acid Reflux At Night?
Sleep is a prime time for heartburn attacks. Probably, you fell asleep immediately after eating, causing stomach acid to back up. But, you can minimize nighttime acid reflux and its complications by following strategies.
Following are a few treatment strategies for nighttime acid reflux.
- Wear loose clothes that don’t put pressure on the stomach area.
- Take an easy walk to speed up digestion and reduce the acid flow up.
- Take some over-the-counter medicines like antacids, PPIs, H2 blockers.
- Improve your sleeping posture.
How To Sleep With Acid Reflux?
Although there isn’t a single solution to heartburn, some tricks can help you get better sleep and ease the discomfort.
- Avoid tight-fitting clothing that puts pressure on your waist. Wear a loose and comfortable sleeping dress.
- You should sleep with your head elevated to prevent the contents of your stomach from moving up. Use a wedge pillow, a mattress lifter, or an extra pillow.
- You should sleep on your left side. It facilitates acid flow and other contents from the esophagus to the stomach.
Water is Life’s Best Friend!
The importance of water to life cannot be overstated. Does drinking hot water help acid reflux? Of course, water has many beneficial properties for acid reflux sufferers. Indeed, it supports a healthy digestive system and prevents stomach illnesses.
However, consult your doctor if you experience frequent heartburn or if it interferes with your daily life. You may receive more effective treatment from your doctor.
Can You Drink Water Before Bed With Acid Reflux?
If you drink water before bedtime, the symptoms of acid reflux may worsen. Like food, it puts pressure on the LES and stomach, making it more likely to experience heartburn at night. Thus, your last liquid intake should be half an hour before bedtime.
Why Do The Chinese Drink Hot Water?
In the traditional Chinese medicine concept, the human body is made up of yin and yang elements. Hot water is a yin beverage. They believe that it helps maintain their bodies’ internal balance and maintenance.
Does Burping Help Acid Reflux?
It is a common misconception that belching prevents acid reflux, but it may do more harm than good. As the stomach contracts when burping occurs, the LES relaxes, causing acid reflux. Yet, it may reduce bloating and eliminate stomach gas.
Which Juice Is Good For Acid Reflux?
For acid reflux, you should drink juices with alkalizing and anti-inflammatory properties. Following are a few options of low-acid juices that may help acid reflux:
- Aloe vera juice
- Cucumber juice
- Watermelon juice
- Pear juice
- Spinach juice
- Apple Juice
Is Black Tea Good For Acid Reflux?
Black tea is not safe for people with acid reflux and heartburn. With its caffeine content, it may raise stomach acid levels. Also, it weakens the sphincter that separates the stomach from the esophagus. So, it is more likely to cause acid reflux. Reflux sufferers should avoid it.
Is Hot Tea Good For Acid Reflux?
Hot tea with caffeine may worsen the symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease. But, if you choose the non-caffeinated version of tea, it may help acid reflux symptoms. Moreover, avoid peppermint and mint tea.