Coconut milk has gained popularity because of its nutty taste and nutritional benefits. But is coconut milk good for acid reflux? Does it help with GERD?
Isn’t it true that these are some questions someone with stomach problems might ask? Animal milk has lactose, hormones, and cholesterol that are linked with health concerns. In contrast, coconut milk is considered safe and effective for humans.
Coconut milk is used widely in the kitchen. Indeed, its flavor is ideal for soups, stews, curries, and baked goods alike. Most people drink it in smoothies or as a drink with a sprinkling of cinnamon.
No doubt, coconut milk is beneficial for weight loss and a healthy heart diet. But is coconut milk good for acid reflux? Find out in this article.
Table of Content
- 1 Is Coconut Milk Good For Acid Reflux?
- 2 Nutritional Value of Coconut Milk
- 3 Health Benefits of Coconut Milk on The Stomach
- 4 Can Coconut Milk Upset Your Stomach?
- 5 Coconut Milk vs. Almond Milk: What’s Better For Acid Reflux?
- 6 Is Canned Coconut Milk Healthy?
- 7 How Do You Extract Coconut Milk Manually?
- 8 Best Milk For Acid Reflux Other Than Coconut Milk?
- 9 What Drinks Help Acid Reflux Go Away Instantly?
- 10 How Do You Get Rid Of Acid Reflux Instantly?
- 11 To Put It Bluntly!
- 12 FAQs
- 12.1 Does coconut milk ease heartburn?
- 12.2 Can coconut help GERD?
- 12.3 Is coconut milk an anti-inflammatory?
- 12.4 Can you make coconut milk from coconut water?
- 12.5 Is coconut water good for acid reflux?
- 12.6 How to cure GERD permanently?
- 12.7 Is eating toasted coconut good for you?
- 12.8 Is coconut milk OK for gastritis?
Is Coconut Milk Good For Acid Reflux?
The coconut milk made from fresh coconut is alkaline. It is the perfect milk option to soothe a burning heart. Coconut milk is also rich in magnesium, which helps neutralize stomach acid. Aside from that, it also promotes digestion and regulates bowel movement.
Indeed, consuming a cup of coconut milk can reduce stomach irritation and inflammation. Which, in turn, protects and heals the esophagus and gastric lining. In order to lower acid reflux symptoms, this could be beneficial.
Indeed, the alkaline properties of coconut milk neutralize stomach acids. Meanwhile, its minerals and vitamins help reduce and heal gastric inflammation. All these factors help to lower severe acid reflux and GERD symptoms.
All in all, if you have a sudden acidity attack, then you should drink a cup of coconut milk. It helps soothe the symptoms unless you are lactose intolerant. Coconut milk provides a large number of vitamins and minerals that will keep you healthy. In fact, coconut milk is the best option for a stomach-friendly diet instead of animal milk.
Is Coconut Milk Acidic?
Coconut milk’s acidic or alkaline nature depends on its preparation method. When milk is extracted from the dried version of coconut meat, it is high in acidic content. Certainly, this type of coconut milk is bad for acid reflux.
While milk extracted from the fresh coconut meat is alkaline-forming. Indeed, this type of nut milk is safe and effective for acid reflux and other stomach ailments.
Although both versions of coconut milk are good, however, if you’re suffering from acid reflux or GERD, then you should avoid acid coconut milk. Be sure to check the label of ingredients to make sure they are safe to use in acid reflux.
Nutritional Value of Coconut Milk
Coconut milk comes with a lot of calories. It has 93% of calories from fat, particularly saturated fats. Aside from the fat, milk is a substantial source of minerals and vitamins.
The table below provides the nutritional profile of 1 cup (226g) of coconut milk.
Health Benefits of Coconut Milk on The Stomach
Coconut milk is very gentle on the stomach. It promotes digestion and stomach health. Millions of people worldwide use it as a healthy diet plan.
Here are a few of the stomach-friendly properties of coconut milk:
- Coconut milk is plant-based milk. Thus, it is considered a non-dairy and lactose-free milk alternative. Therefore, it is safe and effective for people with milk allergies or lactose intolerance to drink it.
- Moreover, several minerals in coconut milk, notably zinc, support intestinal wall regeneration. In other words, it prevents the spread of harmful bacteria from the intestinal lumen to the blood. Moreover, it reduces the incidence of diarrhea to a great extent.
- Among others, coconut milk can help treat gastric and peptic ulcers. Its antibacterial properties inhibit the growth of ulcer-casting bacteria and reduce infection risk. Moreover, consuming coconut milk or water reduces ulcer size.
- What’s more, coconut milk contains natural electrolytes and healthy fats. It, therefore, hydrates and supports the health of digestive organs. Thus, it facilitates the gut’s ability to process fat, eliminate waste, and help prevent many gut problems.
- Also, coconut milk contains lauric acid. It promotes the resistance of bacteria and viruses to infection. It also maintains gut-bacterial balance.
- Magnesium found in coconut milk promotes healthy digestion and stimulates bowel movement. It is an excellent remedy for constipation.
Can Coconut Milk Upset Your Stomach?
Indeed, consuming coconut milk in moderation is beneficial for health. Yet, if you drink too much milk, you can end up with more problems than benefits.
Coconut milk is high in calories and fat, particularly saturated fat. It can therefore contribute to weight gain. Thus, if you are concerned about your calorie intake, you should limit your milk intake.
Also, coconut milk contains fermentable carbohydrates. It can trigger severe digestive problems, such as constipation or diarrhea in people with IBS.
Food and Drug Administration has classified coconut as a tree nut (technically called fruit). So, people with nut allergies can take it without any allergic reaction. However, some of its proteins are similar to tree nuts, which may cause an adverse reaction.
The coconut milk allergy is very similar to other food allergies. Nevertheless, it is very rare. If you have this allergy, you should avoid any coconut product, be it milk, flesh, or water. People with coconut milk allergies may experience these symptoms:
- Itching or irritation on skin, eyes, or throat
- Anaphylaxis – a fatal reaction characterized by swelling, wheezing, and hives
Coconut Milk vs. Almond Milk: What’s Better For Acid Reflux?
Almond milk and coconut milk both are plant-based milk alternatives. Indeed, both are lactose-free and a go-to option for vegetarian people. But which one is better for stomach health?
Coconut milk is a high-calorie vegan alternative to milk. Primary, it is made from dried or fresh coconut meat. The alkaline-forming properties of coconut milk help reduce inflammation and soothe heartburn. Also, it heals the stomach lining and improves digestion. However, some of its ingredients (high calories and carbs) may trigger digestive issues.
Alternatively, almond milk is derived from soaked almonds. It contains fewer calories and fat than coconut milk. Furthermore, the alkaline composition encourages the neutralization of stomach acid. It has high nutritional content as compared to coconut milk. Also, it is anti-inflammatory, which reduces inflammation in the stomach and promotes healing.
If you don’t have a milk allergy, both types of vegan milk are good for stomach health and acid reflux. But, if you are on a weight-loss diet, you should opt for almond milk over coconut milk.
Related articles: Can Almond Milk Upset Your Stomach?
|Property||Almond milk (249 g)||Coconut milk (226)|
|Flavor||Sweet and nutty taste||Deliciously creamy and sweet|
|Health Benefits||Weight loss, Mange blood sugar level, Heart-friendly, Promote stomach health||Stomach friendly, Unsweetened coconut milk is safe for diabetes, Healthy weight gain|
|Cholesterol||0 mg||0 mg|
Is Canned Coconut Milk Healthy?
In general, canned coconut milk is considered to be healthy and safe. The coconut milk market offers sweetened and unsweetened derivatives. Cane milk brands vary in their nutritional composition. Further, some additives and preservatives can also worsen stomach disorders.
You may find coconut milk in aluminum cans lined with Bisphenol-A. It may affect metabolism and thyroid function. Moreover, some additives and preservatives can lower the pH value of milk and make it more acidic.
A few brands, however, contain alkalinizing ingredients. Therefore, canned milk can be a good choice if the additives do not make it acidic. Also, purchase BPA-free milk containers.
However, you can also opt to make coconut milk at home to avoid any potentially harmful triggers.
How Do You Extract Coconut Milk Manually?
No doubt, the coconut milk you buy on the market may contain unwanted chemicals and irritants. However, you can make coconut milk at home. Therefore, you can control the ingredients and track the nutrients you consume. Here is an easy method to extract coconut milk from fresh coconut milk for acid reflux.
What to have??
- 2.5 cups fresh coconut (grated)
- 2 to 3 cups of plain water
Creamy Coconut Milk Recipe
- In a blender, combine grated coconut and one cup of water. If the coconut flesh tastes bad, discard it and find a fresh coconut.
- Blend the mixture at high speed until the coconut is finely ground.
- Mix 1 to 1.5 cups of water in the blender again.
- Pour it through a fine sieve or muslin and collect the thick, creamy extract in a bowl.
- Now the fresh coconut milk is ready. Prepare your meals using it immediately.
- Coconut milk can also be refrigerated and used later.
Best Milk For Acid Reflux Other Than Coconut Milk?
It may be better to drink goat milk or other plant-based milk substitutes than cow’s milk. It has fewer bacteria and stomach irritants. Thus, it may protect the body from potentially harmful compounds.
Other than coconut milk, these are some of the best milk options for acid reflux:
What Drinks Help Acid Reflux Go Away Instantly?
Here is a list of beverages you can consume to ease your acid reflux symptoms:
- Aloe vera juice
- Beetroot juice
- Pear juice
- Watermelon juice
- Cucumber juice
- Spinach juice
Smoothies made from green veggies and low-acid fruits can help prevent acid reflux.
Following are a few smoothie ideas:
- Watermelon and pear
- Kale and spinach
- Avocado and spinach
- Vegetarian green tea smoothie with green grapes
If you suffer from heartburn, avoid caffeine-containing beverages. Further, mint and peppermint tea can also aggravate reflux.
You can make a perfect tea for treating heartburn with the herbs listed below:
- Slippery elm
- Alkaline water
- Coconut water
How Do You Get Rid Of Acid Reflux Instantly?
The burning sensation that arises from acid reflux can be uncomfortable and inconvenient.
Listed below are a few simple and quick ways to relieve acid reflux:
- If you’re lying or sitting, you should get up. If you are already standing, then try to stand up straight.
- Take your belts off or whatever is compressing your stomach. Put on loose clothing.
- In case of nighttime heartburn, raising the head of the bed will reduce reflux.
- For quick relief, drink baking soda in a glass of water. Indeed, this is an efficient homemade remedy for acid reflux.
- Moreover, drink ginger tea.
- Also, chewing gum dilutes stomach acid and reduces reflux symptoms.
- Importantly, smokers should quit smoking or stop taking any drugs.
- Besides, take over-the-counter antacids for quick relief.
To Put It Bluntly!
Is coconut milk good for acid reflux? Indeed, coconut milk is one of the best milk options for acid reflux and other stomach issues. To be safe, check the alkaline label before drinking coconut milk. The alkaline version is gentler on the stomach than the acidic version.
Also, its high nutritional profile makes it a go-to option for breakfast or lunch or as a midnight hunger. But, if your goal is to lose weight, I recommend you reconsider!
These are a few questions someone with acid reflux may ask when considering coconut milk as a remedy for their acid reflux.
Does coconut milk ease heartburn?
Coconut milk can ease heartburn and acid reflux conditions. It has alkaline properties, which neutralize acidic content in the stomach. Also, magnesium works to reduce the burning sensation in the chest. Moreover, its anti-inflammatory property makes it good for stomach health.
Can coconut help GERD?
Unsweetened coconut milk helps GERD. Indeed, it is a good source of potassium and helpful electrolytes. It works to balance the pH level and control acid reflux. In addition, healthy fats and zinc support digestion and stomach regeneration.
Is coconut milk an anti-inflammatory?
Yes, coconut milk is an anti-inflammatory milk alternative. Indeed, it has lauric acid, which has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties.
Can you make coconut milk from coconut water?
You can’t extract coconut milk from coconut water. Actually, it is extracted from the flesh of a coconut. But you can use coconut water in the preparation of milk.
Is coconut water good for acid reflux?
Like coconut milk, coconut water contains helpful electrolytes that balance the pH level. It, therefore, reduces the reflux action. Additionally, its antihistamines and anti-infective properties help to keep the digestive system healthy.
How to cure GERD permanently?
It is usually possible to cure GERD with medication and lifestyle changes. But, if your symptoms fail to improve, your gastric expert may advise removing the affected area. The most effective way to permanently cure GERD is through Fundoplication.
Is eating toasted coconut good for you?
Toasted coconut flakes contain plenty of healthy fats that can fill you up and give you energy for the whole day. Moreover, they’re an excellent keto snack that will help you maintain ketosis. As it contains fiber and MCTs, it may offer several benefits, including weight loss, improved heart health, and better digestion.
Yet, it has a high calorie and saturated fat content, so consume it sparingly. As a whole, unsweetened coconut meat makes a fantastic addition to a healthy diet.
Is coconut milk OK for gastritis?
Coconut milk is safe and highly effective in treating gastritis. It has antiseptic properties that specifically target H. pylori. It helps reduce gas in the gastrointestinal tract. Furthermore, it strengthens immune systems and enhances gut healing.