We have all heard the phrase “an apple a day keeps the doctor away.” We have gotten the proof of this saying being completely correct by actually experiencing it in our daily life. Apple is a very nutritious fruit that contains a huge amount of vitamins and minerals.
Our guardians are always eager to maintain the daily intake of apples and various other fruits so that we can lead a very healthy and comfortable life.
Apples help to provide cures and relief from various types of diseases. Some people like to bring a twist in flavor and thus ingest apples in the form of apple juice. It helps us to maintain a healthy cardiovascular system and digestive system.
It decreases blood pressure and provides relief from heartburn caused by acid reflux. As apple juice helps to maintain a healthy digestive system, is apple juice good for acid reflux is a frequently asked question.
Table of Content
Is Apple Juice Good for Acid Reflux?
Apples contain abundant nutrients and minerals. Among them, a few mentionable minerals include calcium, potassium, and magnesium. Apple juice is good for acid reflux. It helps to relieve the heartburn and uneasiness caused by acid reflux. Apple juice might not be able to cure acid reflux but it can decrease the severity of the disease.
Apple juice also plays a vital role in decreasing cardiovascular disease as it contains pectin. Huge amounts of antioxidants are also present in apples which help to decrease the chances of cancer. Even though apple juice is good for our health, excess intake of Green Apple juice can trigger the symptoms of acid reflux.
We know, in acid reflux the amount of stomach acid production increases. The goal is to neutralize that by intaking something basic in nature, but, green apple is more acidic thus it increases the acid reflux.
Many apples contain pesticide residues on their skin if not sterilized properly. So one should prefer organic apples over any other apples. Even organic apples may contain a slight amount of residues but that does not cause any side effects. One should always choose fresh fruits over processed fruits and prepare juices from them.
An apple juice that is made from fresh fruit contains high amounts of antioxidants and fiber content that helps to prevent cancer, maintain blood sugar levels within normal range, keep the heart healthy, heart-healthy, and many other benefits.
What Is Acid Reflux?
Acid reflux or gastroesophageal reflux is a condition that can be characterized as the backflow of acid-containing contents of the stomach into the esophagus. The esophagus is a connecting tube between the throat and stomach.
Acid reflux usually occurs when the valve that is present at the end of our esophagus called the lower esophageal sphincter does not close properly after the food has reached your stomach. We know that the stomach contains acidic content.
It secretes hydrochloric acid and peptic acid for the digestion of food. When the lower esophageal sphincter fails to close properly then these acidic substances flow back through the valve into the esophagus. This results in heartburn and gives your mouth a sour taste.
Everyone has experienced acid reflux at least once in their lifetime. It is very normal to face heartburn. But, there is a normal limit. If one faces heartburn or acid reflux more than twice a week and this goes on for several weeks that even regular intake of heartburn medications and antacids can not solve the problem then it can be said that the person has developed GERD.
Main Symptoms of Chronic Acid Reflux
There are various symptoms of chronic acid reflux. These symptoms include:
Common Causes of Acid Reflux
Acid reflux is caused by the slow or incomplete closure or relaxation of the lower esophageal sphincter. The normal phenomenon is that the sphincter is tightly closed after the passage of food from the esophagus to the stomach.
If the esophageal sphincter does not close immediately then the stomach food contents backflows into the esophagus causing acid reflux. The main reason behind the occurrence of acid reflux is given below:
- Abdominal pressure: If excess pressure is exerted on the abdomen then acid reflux occurs. Acid reflux is most commonly experienced by pregnant women almost regularly due to this reason.
- Medications: Asthma medications, high blood pressure medications, allergy medications, sedatives, antidepressants, and sedatives causes acid reflux.
- Specific food items: Spicy foods, dairy food products, and fried foods cause acid reflux.
- Hiatal hernia: In a hiatal hernia the upper part of the stomach gets in the way of normal intake of food by bulging into the diaphragm.
What Are the Benefits of Eating Apples?
Apples contain huge amounts of food nutrients which are extremely beneficial for your health. Apples are extremely helpful for the human body.
The numerous beneficial effects of apple are described below.
- High nutritional value: Apples contain various types of nutrition and minerals. On a 2,000 calorie diet, two cups of fruit are recommended to be taken daily. Apples also contain polyphenols which have tremendous health benefits. It is good to leave the skin in the apples as they contain a significant amount of fiber.
- Helps in weight loss: There is high fiber and water content in apples making them more filling. As they have high fiber they play a vital role in the metabolism of the body and thus help to lose weight.
- Good for the heart: Apples help in the healthy maintenance of the cardiovascular system. They reduce the risk of any heart disease. Apples consist of soluble fiber that helps in reducing blood cholesterol levels. They also contain flavonoids that play a huge role in decreasing blood pressure.
- Prevents cancer: Substances such as antioxidant and anti-inflammatory substances are present in apples. These substances help to prevent cancer.
- Low risk of diabetes: The polyphenols that are present in the apple help to reduce the chances of having type-2 diabetes. They prevent the damage of the beta cells in the pancreas. Beta cells are the cells that produce insulin in the body and thus maintain the normal blood sugar level.
- Promotes good gut bacteria: Apples carry a substance called pectin that works as a prebiotic. Prebiotic means that it feeds and helps in the growth of the bacterias that are good for your gut. This is one of the benefits of apples as it acts against heart disease, obesity, and type-2 diabetes.
- Fights asthma: As previously mentioned apples contain a huge amount of antioxidants. This protects the lungs from any damage caused by oxidation. Apples contain flavonoids which helpwith to build a stronger immune system and reduce inflammation.
- Reduce allergies: the flavonoids that are present in apples regulate the immune system of our body and reduce inflammation. This anti-inflammatory effect helps to reduce allergies.
- Maintenance of bone health: Apple contains a huge amount of calcium that helps in the growth and development of bones. The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory substance also helps in maintaining a healthy bone density.
- Protects from stomach injury: Painkillers Can cause injury to the stomach wall. Research shows that frozen apples can protect the stomach walls from such injury.
- Protects the brain: Apples help to prevent the mental declination that occurs with the increase of age. It helps to preserve acetylcholine which is a neurotransmitter. The release of this acetylcholine decreases with age. By preserving this, apples help to maintain the proper memory of the individual.
Apples are nutritious food. They help us to lead a healthy life by providing the body with adequate nutrients and preventing various diseases. To answer the question is apple juice good for acid reflux, yes, it is. It will provide you relief and comfort from the symptoms that are caused by acid reflux.
One should try to maintain a daily intake of apples and other fruits to lead a healthy life. An apple a day will keep the doctor away as it will provide you with all the nourishment required to stay fit and lead a wholesome life.
Is apple cider juice good for acid reflux?
Yes, apple cider juice is good for acid reflux. It is a very well-known natural remedy for heartburn and acid reflux. It relieves the symptoms of acid reflux such as heartburn, dry cough, trouble in swallowing, chest pain. This vinegar is usually made from crushed and curated apples at home. They are naturally fermented and the unfiltered liquids take a brown cloudy appearance.
Apple cider vinegar is rich in enzymes and protein. For this reason, organic apple cider vinegar is known as the golden standard as it is used for the treatment of various diseases such as acid reflux.
Is mott’s apple juice good for acid reflux?
Mott’s apple juice is 100% organic. Organic apple juice is preferred over inorganic apple juice as it contains the ‘mother’ of the apple after fermentation. This is very effective in the treatment of various diseases including acid reflux. So yes, mott’s apple juice is good for acid reflux.
Does apple juice increase stomach acid?
There are different types of apple juice. Few are slightly more acidic than the other. The acidic apple juice will cause the pH of the stomach to decrease resulting in the increment of acid in the stomach. The apple juices prepared from green apples are more acidic than the ones prepared from red apples. So, for the treatment of acid reflux red apple juice should be used.
Which fruit is good for acid reflux?
Other than apples various other fruits can help in the relief of acid reflux. The fruits which contain a lesser amount of acidic content are preferred and suggested for the treatment of acid reflux. Fruits such as watermelon, banana, coconuts, honeydew, cantaloupe, and other low-acid-containing fruits are helpful for acid reflux.
Does drinking water help acid reflux?
Yes, drinking water can actively help in acid reflux. Frequent consumption of water helps in making the digestion process and metabolism of the body better and thus reduce the severity of the acid reflux. One should practice drinking at least eight glasses of water per day.