Turmeric is an influential spice widely used in ayurvedic and supplemental items due to its medicinal and therapeutic properties. It is also highly researched in the west for medicinal use. As a matter of fact, it is now considered very good for inflammation and painkillers. But is turmeric good for gastritis?
Turmeric powder and roots have been used for hundreds of years to lower the symptoms of stomach disorders and distress. In fact, turmeric milk or turmeric powder tea is considered the best home remedy for gastritis, acid reflux, and dysentery conditions. Traditionally, it works to improve stomach health, but is turmeric scientifically valid for gastritis treatment?
The golden spice turmeric contains the bioactive compound curcumin, which has a considerable effect on the stomach structure and function. But, there is less clinical research based on its effect on acid reflux and gastritis conditions. So, is turmeric good for my gastritis?
In this article, you will get to know the actual facts exclusively based on “is turmeric good for treating gastritis”.
Table of Content
Turmeric and Gastritis
Turmeric is normally used as a spice in the curry to give it an authentic taste and color. Moreover, it is also used as a dye color. Some people may confuse turmeric with zedoary, Javanese turmeric root, goldenseal, or tree turmeric which are kind of related to turmeric but actually, they are not turmeric.
Originally, turmeric belongs to the ginger family, it comes from the Curcuma longa root. It has been used as an alternative treatment for a wide range of medical conditions. Particularly, it is useful for stomach, digestion, joints, and skin illness.
Ancient people, even people of this age, use turmeric tea and milk to reduce inflammation, menstrual pain, gastritis, acid reflux, and fever. However, is turmeric good for gastritis?
Turmeric is a strong anti-inflammatory diet that helps to heal gastritis. It is evident from the clinical trial that gastritis is a potent ingredient for the treatment of stomach disorders.
Is Turmeric Good for Gastritis?
Turmeric is more effective than traditional and pharmacological treatments for acid reflux and gastritis. It contains a bioactive compound, curcumin, which is a polyphenol. Curcumin from turmeric is primarily responsible for digestion and stomach issues.
It serves as an anti-inflammatory agent in the stomach, reducing inflammation and healing the gut lining. Furthermore, it acts as an antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral agent in the battle against alien microorganisms in the stomach. However, can turmeric heal the stomach?
Turmeric includes polysaccharides that may be active in covering the mucous membrane and healing stomach ulcers. Overall, it is one of the most effective therapeutic agents for the treatment of gastritis.
Is Turmeric Scientifically Proven for Gastritis?
While turmeric and its derivative curcumin have been widely studied for their therapeutic benefits, no trials on acid reflux have been conducted. Turmeric lacks sufficient proof to be useful for any health problem. More research is needed to discover whether it is useful in humans.
According to research, oxidative stress and inflammation may be to blame for acid reflux and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Moreover, this research suggests that people with GERD should take antioxidants and anti-inflammatory drugs.
Turmeric extract curcumin possesses antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. This could explain why turmeric may help reduce GERD symptoms. Also, curcumin was proven to inhibit esophageal inflammation in a separate investigation due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
More research is currently being undertaken. However, in 2019, MDPI published an article investigating the effects of curcumin on tumors, inflammation, and antioxidants when administered to digestive disorders.
Curcumin’s anti-inflammatory effects protect the gut against overexposure to NSAIDs and other toxic chemicals. It not only aids in healing ulcers, but also actively kills cancer cells in the gut and inhibits the growth of microorganisms associated with ulcers.
Is Turmeric Good for Acid Reflux?
Is turmeric acidic or alkaline? Turmeric is naturally alkaline, with a pH of 7.4. Eating alkaline foods reduces and improves acid reflux symptoms. Still, some people may be concerned, “does turmeric increase stomach acid?”
Turmeric does not increase the acidic content of the stomach, instead, it reduces the high acidic content in the gut and prevents the backflow of acid. Moreover, the anti-inflammatory and healing properties of turmeric treat the acidity effects.
So, taking turmeric is one of the best treatments for the permanent cure of acid reflux and gastritis.
How to Take Turmeric for Gastritis?
Turmeric is simple to use for gastritis. Simply take two fresh turmeric roots and coarsely grind them. Then, squeeze it firmly to drain the juice. To heal gastritis, drink it in the morning or at night.
You can also dissolve turmeric powder in water or take it as a tablet or capsule. However, keep in mind that only 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder should be consumed to alleviate gastritis and acid reflux.
Turmeric can also be obtained from a pharmacy or health clinic in the form of pharma medications and health supplements. But are turmeric pills good for gastritis? Indeed, yes!
Turmeric pills are safe and relatively effective therapy for gastritis and other stomach illnesses.
When to Avoid Turmeric and Its Supplements?
Normally, turmeric is safe for health and leads to many positive health effects. However, in some cases, it is considered better to avoid.
Following are a few conditions when you should avoid using turmeric:
- Don’t use turmeric if you have liver problems. It can further damage the liver.
- It should not be used along with blood thinning drugs and supplements.
- It should not be taken as a medical supplement amount by diabetic patients as it can lower the sugar level to a dangerous level.
- It should not be taken by pregnant ladies as it can increase the risk of vaginal bleeding during the pregnancy and increase the risk of miscarriage.
- Apart from this, nursing mothers should also avoid turmeric supplement dosage.
- Moreover, women with imbalanced hormones, PCOS, fibroid, and ovarian disorders should avoid turmeric items as curcumin can act as an estrogen in the body which can lead to a further imbalance of the hormones in the body.
- People with bleeding disorders should also avoid using medicinal amounts of turmeric, as it leads to slow blood clotting.
- Also, if you are trying to conceive, you and your partner should avoid using it, as it can decrease the level of testosterone in the man greatly.
- Don’t use turmeric after surgery as it can slow the healing process.
Other Home Remedies to Cure Gastritis Permanently
Turmeric is one of the best home remedies to cure gastritis permanently.
But if you avoid turmeric for some reason, here is the list of natural and best home remedies to treat gastritis forever:
- Apple cider vinegar and honey solution in the water helps to restore the balance of the stomach environment and also kills microorganisms.
- Aloe vera juice also helps to soothe the irritated and inflamed gut lining, since it has anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and antiseptic effects.
- Baking soda solution can act as an antacid for gastritis conditions and significantly reduce the burning sensation in the stomach.
- Drinking coconut water may also help to soothe the gastritis symptoms, particularly the burning stomach.
- Cabbage juice contains the rare element vitamin U, which can significantly heal the stomach ulcer and cure stomach inflammation permanently. Also, it acts as a cleansing agent to cleanse the stomach and intestine tract.
- Drinking green tea may also alleviate the symptoms of gastritis and heal it efficiently.
- Moreover, probiotics and prebiotic food may also help to resolve all stomach issues, including stomach ulcers.
- Manuka honey in warm water may also lower the acid content in the stomach and heal the inflamed lining.
- Moreover, eating anti-inflammatory food helps stomach inflammation.
Is Turmeric Good for Gastrointestinal Problems?
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antifungal, and antioxidant properties. Therefore, it helps to cure gastrointestinal problems and promotes normal digestion and stomach health significantly.
Can You Take Omeprazole and Turmeric Together?
When combined with omeprazole, turmeric may increase the acidic content of the stomach. It should not be taken with any other antacids, not just omeprazole.
Is Turmeric Tea Good for Gastritis?
Turmeric tea has strong anti-inflammatory properties that can help to reduce stomach inflammation. Not only this, but it also improves bloating, bowel movement, and dysentery issues.
Are Turmeric and Honey Good for Gastritis?
Turmeric has strong healing properties, while honey has a soothing and cooling action. So, when turmeric combines with honey, it may be an effective and potentially helpful mixture for gastritis and stomach health.
Turmeric is a natural and easy-to-find spice, it is widely used in the kitchen mainly for cooking purposes. Moreover, it is also used in the pharma industry as a therapeutic agent. It has a significantly helpful effect on the stomach. However, is turmeric good for gastritis? As a matter of fact, its anti-inflammatory and therapeutic effect can help to cure gastritis and heal the stomach lining significantly. So, you can take turmeric for stomach health and gastritis symptoms, without any doubt, it is clinically proven to help the stomach.