A feeling of discomfort or a tendency to vomit is never a great feeling during the course of your day. There’s no room for feelings that can get you distracted to keep yourself engaged and productive. You seek comfort and relief that too fast and long-lasting. At such a point, is the consumption of carbonated beverages such as sprite really the best option?
So, does sprite help with nausea?
From the point of view of top drinks providing rapid, temporary relief in response to a feeling of nausea, or vomiting, sprite, and carbonated beverages can be considered, “therapeutic”. But, while rapid relief might sound quite favorable to many, the beverage is notorious for containing more than eight times the recommended amount of glucose and not that much of potassium, sodium i.e. the nutrients essential for the body. Hence, is it really the right option to select the temporary relief while bearing risk to the body?
Let’s dig deeper into the issue.
Table of Content
What Is Nausea?
Nausea can be best explained as a very uncomfortable, uneasy sensation in response to various stimulation that gives an individual an urge to vomit. Often, the urge to vomit lasts without the relief achieved after vomiting. The discomfort!!
One thing to note about nausea is that, while it may feel like it’s always related to food intake, in reality, its nervous stimulation. Just thinking about unpleasant scenarios, a disgusting smell can often trigger nausea. Hence, it’s better to not always root for beverages, and git medication as soon as you feel nauseous.
How Does Sprite Help With Nausea?
Sprite or carbonated beverages might seem like a good option to many while experiencing nauseous episodes. Why does carbonation help with nausea? A few points are as follows:
- Relieves gas formation: Carbonation mostly helps relieve any gas formation in Well, your stomach. Excess gas production in the stomach from a heavy meal or any indigestion can trigger nausea. The carbonation helps remove those gases by excretion.
- Increase sugar intake: Carbonated beverages such as sprite contain about 8 times the daily recommended amount of sugar. For quick hydration and relieving hypoglycemia-induced effects, this plays a great role.
- Role In Removing Toxic By-products: Does sprite help with hangovers? Yes! Sprites can actually increase the metabolism of toxic by-products following the consumption of high-energy-containing food.
So, the sprite is supposed to be good right? Or is it?
Harmful Effects of Sprite Intake
Does sprite help with nausea? YES. In fact, it’s one of the most commonly used methods among individuals to experience relief after experiencing nausea. So, why am I against this motion? The harmful effects of sprite should give a clear answer:
- Increased weight gain: Sprite and other carbonated beverages are high sugar-containing substances. As much as eight times the daily recommended amount of sugar can enter your body from the consumption of sprite.
- Liver problems: The excess sugar from sprite are directly stored in your liver as the overwhelming amount can’t be up taken and utilized by other organs. This might result in fatty liver and other liver diseases.
- Risk of Diabetes: Insulin is the hormone responsible for glucose uptake of organs. Intake of sprite causes insulin resistance or decreased sensitivity to insulin. This condition can act as the main driving force behind the development of diabetes in the future.
- Leptin resistance: Leptin is a hormone from the body’s fat cells that regulates the number of calories you eat and burn. Sprite intake can dysregulate this hormone which can cause increased fat buildup in the body.
- Risk of heart diseases: Increased fat content, and insulin resistance all these factors contribute to the formation of heart disease, atherosclerosis or fat plug formation in the vessels, and many other complications.
- Joint Pain: The sugars in sprite can increase the level of uric acid in your body. Crystallization of hardening of this acid causes deposition in the joints and results in pain, a condition known as GOUT.
- Dental health damage: Sprite contains phosphoric and carbonic acid both of which can cause damage to your teeth.
Best Beverages for Nausea
Quick hydration, a calming effect to reduce the gastric acid, a bit of relief. Quite a simple treatment regime for nausea. So, let’s take a look at some beverages much more effective at controlling nausea minus the side effects of sprite.
- Cold Water: Gives quick hydration and relieves gastric irritation.
- Lemon Juice And Lemonade: Lemon contains useful antioxidants and neutralizing acids that can relieve the stomach from harmful HCl. it also has the added effect of stirring up the saliva giving relief from nausea.
- Baking Soda: Baking soda is an alkaline substance that can neutralize the effects of gastric acids and remove nausea.
- Herbal Teas: Most commonly used and effective ones are peppermint and ginger tea.
- Ginger Ale: Ginger contains some chemicals which can help relieve any gastric irritation while also providing instant relief.
- Flat Soda: Thinking of using 7up or sprite for an upset stomach? With the option of not carbonated flat sodas in the market which have much fewer adverse effects, you might want to rethink that decision and opt for the flat one.
- Antacids: Proton Pump Inhibitors are extremely effective in removing gastric irritations.
- Does sprite help with nausea during pregnancy?
Yes! during the pregnancy period to you will likely get the temporary relief effect of the sprite that has been discussed above. However, be mindful of the excess sugars, and caffeine in those beverages and drink only a bit once in a while.
- Does sprite help with diarrhea?
During diarrhea, there’s excess loss of body fluids to the extent that it might even cause shock. During this period, excess intake of fluids is recommended, but in many cases, the weak stomach might not be able to tolerate the intake of carbonated beverages.
Hence. Though there are no specific restrictions, it’s wise to stick to salines and normal water than carbonated beverages.
- What should I drink after throwing up?
If you vomit only once or twice, try drinking something light that can hydrate you rapidly. A few glasses of water, energy drinks, flat soda are recommended options among many.
However, persistent vomiting episodes as a consequence of stomach upset required saline intake and also medical attention.
- How do I get rid of nausea fast?
Try a few methods:
- Drink cold water
- Take rest
- Stop working
- Can I feel nauseous after getting Covid?
In a recent study, it has been found that nausea, gastric irritation, and diarrhea have been found among individuals who have tested negative for covid.
A nauseous feeling is never pleasant during any time of the day. Questioning your decision to gulp down a jug of sprite but stopped wondering. “Does sprite help with nausea?”
In an emergency situation, take the gamble. The instant relief though temporary might help you deal with the situation at hand. But, be mindful of the serious adverse effects of carbonated beverages and limit yourself to the bare minimum of consumption.
With the variety of options available to remove this discomfort, you might wanna opt for one of those adverse effect-free ones.