Ovaltine, a nutritional supplement, has long been used by youngsters to meet their nutritional needs after being mixed with milk. Originally, it was just a syrup extracted from barley malt and was in common use by brewers. It has undergone several changes with advancement, so now it is available in different varieties, such as Ovaltine Classic Malt, Chocolate Malt Mix, Rich Chocolate Mix, and many others.
Keeping its worldwide use in mind, is Ovaltine good for you?
Ovaltine is enriched with vitamins, including vitamins A, C, D, and E; and minerals including iron, calcium, zinc, and magnesium. Because of this, it is used by people to cover the effects of malnutrition. But, it is high in sugar that can cause side effects, particularly in diabetics, resulting in hyperglycemia and insulin resistance, thus one should consume it in moderation.
Keep reading further.
Table of Content
What Is Ovaltine?
What is Ovaltine made of? Ovaltine is a milk flavoring product with ingredients including barley malt extract, milk, sugar, whey (a liquid by-product created while curdling cheese or casein), eggs, and cocoa (although it is not present in all variants).
It is marketed mostly for children, including toddlers and teenagers, as well as adults. Depending on the drink or beverage you’re mixing it with, it can be consumed cold or hot.
Is Ovaltine Good For You?
Is Ovaltine healthy? Ovaltine mixed with milk can act as a healthier source of essential nutrients that you may not be getting from your daily diet.
- Over a billion people in the world are suffering from vitamin D deficiency. Ovaltine contains a considerable amount of vitamin D, thus it can cover this deficiency. Vitamin D is necessary to maintain immunity, bones, muscles, and the cardiovascular system.
- Besides vitamin D, Ovaltine offers a considerable ratio of vitamin A, C, and E. These vitamins protect the body against oxidation due to free radicals (which otherwise can lead to chronic disorders), aging, and skeletal weakness.
- Calcium deficiency can result in weak bones. Milk is therefore recommended to strengthen bones. Adding Ovaltine to milk enhances its calcium content. About 35% of the daily needed calcium can be taken from one glass of fat-free milk mixed with Ovaltine.
- About 2.2 billion people are facing zinc deficiency. Ovaltine can also overcome this deficiency by providing 10% of the daily requirement value of zinc per 2 tablespoons of Ovaltine Chocolate Malt Mix. Zinc is primarily necessary for the regulation of enzymes necessary for metabolism in the human body.
Besides these Ovaltine health benefits, it also contains a considerable amount of potassium, iron, magnesium, and carbohydrates. Furthermore, Ovaltine Classic Malt contains small amounts of protein and fat, which are needed in the body for calorie extraction.
Ovaltine Nutritional Value
Depending on the variety and food or drink you mix with Ovaltine, it has a different nutritional value. Ovaltine, by itself, is low in fat and calories, making it a healthy choice to combine with other nutrition-rich diets. The Ovaltine nutritional information of different varieties is discussed below.
Chocolate Malt Mix:
Ovaltine Chocolate Malt Mix contains about 40 calories per 2 tablespoons. Other nutrients supplied by it are given below:
|The amount offered by Ovaltine Chocolate Malt Mix (2 tablespoons)
|% Daily Value
Ovaltine Classic Malt:
15 grams or 2 tablespoons of Ovaltine Classic Malt provide:
- 60 calories
- 0.5 g of fats, this fat is totally saturated, covering 1% of DV % of fats and 3% of DV % of saturated fats.
- 12 g of carbohydrates, including 1 g of dietary fiber and 6 g of sugar, covering about 4% of DV % of carbohydrates.
- 1 g of protein
- Vitamin A covers 35% of the daily value.
- Vitamin C covers 30% of the daily value.
- Calcium covers about 2% of the daily value.
- Iron covers about 25% of the daily value
Ovaltine Rich Chocolate Mix:
11 grams or 2 tablespoons of Ovaltine Classic Malt offer:
- 40 calories
- 9 g of carbohydrates, including 0 g of dietary fiber and 9 g of sugar, covering about 3% of DV % of carbohydrates.
- Vitamin A covers 10 % of the daily value.
- Vitamin C covers 10% of the daily value.
- Calcium covers about 10% of the daily value.
- Iron covers about 10% of the daily value.
Ovaltine And Diabetes
Is Ovaltine good for diabetics? Ovaltine is not recommended for diabetics on a regular basis. People often ask, why is it not recommended for diabetics? Does Ovaltine contain sugar? It contains a lot of sugar, which might cause blood sugar levels to rise even higher and insulin resistance to enhance.
The American Heart Association recommends that women and children should consume only 25 grams of sugar per day. For men, however, about 35 grams of sugar per day is optimal. So, one should limit his Ovaltine intake to reduce the risk of diabetes.
Is Ovaltine Good For Toddlers?
Yes, Ovaltine may be a better option for meeting the nutritional needs of toddlers. It’s high in vitamins, including vitamin D, as well as minerals like zinc, iron, magnesium, and calcium.
Adding Ovaltine to milk makes it taste sweeter and is easier for toddlers to consume. Because it contains a lot of sugar, there should be a limit if you’re providing it to a child.
Is Chocolate Ovaltine Gluten-Free?
You may have a question, is Ovaltine gluten-free? Ovaltine is not gluten-free. Extracts from malted barley and malted wheat are used to make it. These are both enriched with a protein called gluten. It should be avoided by gluten intolerant people, as it may cause allergies.
How Much Caffeine Is In Ovaltine?
Does Ovaltine contain caffeine in it? Ovaltine is totally caffeine-free. For this reason, people who are conscious of the side effects of caffeine usually prefer it.
Although it offers zero caffeine and low fat content, one should not consume it beyond a limit, as its high sugar content can cause harm.
How Much Ovaltine Should I Take In A Day?
How much Ovaltine a day is healthy? Taking 2 tablespoons of Ovaltine per day is preferred if you do not suffer from diabetes or weight gain. Many people consume Ovaltine with water, which is not as beneficial as milk.
Diabetes patients and dieters use Ovaltine healthy alternative. Raw cacao, stevia, and low-fat milk can be combined to make a drink. To enhance its flavor, you can add vanilla, cinnamon, or citrus extract.
Ovaltine Side Effects
Is Ovaltine bad for you? It can cause complications, as it is high in sugar. This can contribute to:
- Cardiovascular disorders
- Metabolic disturbance
Question: Can I get side effects due to too much Ovaltine?
Answer: Ovaltine contains a high amount of sugar in it. This can lead to hyperglycemia, metabolic disturbance, and insulin resistance in your blood. Therefore, you should consume Ovaltine in moderation. If you are suffering from diabetes, it is not recommended to take it regularly.
Question: Can I make Ovaltine with water?
Answer: Yes, you can make Ovaltine with water. There are several recipes available to make Ovaltine with water, but it can reduce the efficient nutritional facts of Ovaltine. It is usually recommended to use it with milk to get proper health benefits.
Question: Is Ovaltine good for kids?
Answer: Yes, Ovaltine is healthy for kids. There are numerous vitamins and minerals in it, mainly covering vitamin D and zinc deficiencies in children. Due to its high sugar content, it should not be considered a sole source of nutrition, so a limited dose is preferred.
Is Ovaltine good for you? Various versions of Ovaltine are available in the market and are used by people as a nutritional supplement. It is a good source of vitamins including vitamins A, C, D, and E; and minerals including calcium, zinc, iron, and magnesium. Moreover, it is non-caffeinated and thus a nutritious drink when mixed with low-fat milk. But it is high in sugar and not gluten-free. Thus, persons suffering from diabetes and gluten intolerance should avoid Ovaltine consumption.