Dried fruits are dried from fresh fruits by sun-drying or dehydration method. During drying, the nutrients become concentrated, due to which the texture of fruit changes. But, most people want to know that, Is dried fruit as nutritious and healthy as fresh fruit?
So, is dried fruit healthy?
Information about dried fruit is very confusing, some say it is full of nutrition and is a healthy snack while others say that it is full of sugar and fats. The reality is dried fruit has the same amount of nutrition as fresh fruits and is a good source of fiber and energy. So, yes, dried fruit is good for and has various health benefits.
In this article, we are going to cover the health benefits of 10 amazing dry fruits.
Table of Content
- 1 Is Dried Fruit Healthy for You?
- 2 Health Benefits Of 10 Amazing Dry Fruits
- 3 Side effects Of Eating Too Much Dried Fruit
- 4 FAQs
- 5 Bottom Line
Is Dried Fruit Healthy for You?
Most of the water content of dried fruit is removed.
Dried fruits are very healthy and have the following beneficial health effects.
- Dry fruits contain a good amount of fiber and provide a lot of energy.
- Dry fruits are rich in antioxidants.
- Phenolic antioxidants especially have numerous health benefits.
- The nutritional value of one piece of dried fruit is the same as that of fresh fruit.
- Polyphenols are a type of antioxidants that have many health benefits. They can provide improved blood flow, decreased oxidative damage, good gut health and reduced risk of many diseases.
- Dried fruits such as almonds, walnuts, and peanuts contain a great amount of Omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases and are excellent for the health of brain tissues.
Health Benefits Of 10 Amazing Dry Fruits
Eating dried fruit can fulfil the nutritional deficiency of the human body and can also reduce the risk of obesity. Here are the beneficial health effects of 10 amazing dry fruits.
Many people like to consume dried grapes, also known as raisins. Following are their benefits.
- Protects you from certain diseases.
- Raisins contain high amounts of fiber. They are rich in potassium, and other plant compounds.
- They can maintain blood sugar levels.
- They regulate blood pressure and blood cholesterol levels.
- Raisins reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Eating raisins can protect your from type 2 diabetes.
Prunes are made from dried plums. They have the following health benefits.
- They provide a natural laxative effect because of sugar alcohol called sorbitol present in prunes in abundance.
- They can boost up your immune system and are very filling.
- Prunes have a high amount of a mineral called boron that can combat osteoporosis.
- Prunes can decrease bad cholesterol levels in the body and can prevent risk of cardiovascular diseases.
Dates are the dried fruits that are very common in different countries of the world. They have the following benefits.
- Dates have high amounts of antioxidants, potassium, iron, and fiber.
- Eating dates may help reduce oxidative damage, maintain sugar levels and help in easing the pains during pregnancy.
- Dates are a good source of iron. So, they help in red blood cell formation and are very helpful to prevent iron deficiency anemia.
Figs are also the source of energy..They can cure many diseases. Their benefits are as follows.
- Figs contain fiber which helps alleviate constipation and keep you feeling full for longer.
- They lower bad cholesterol levels and maintain blood sugar levels.
- Figs contain calcium in a good amount and are good for the health of bones. It can prevent diseases related to calcium deficiency.
- Figs also help in reducing migraine and headaches.
Almonds are healthier alternatives to traditional snacking choices. They have a huge number of health benefits. Some common health benefits of almonds as under.
- Almonds contain antioxidants and they reduce the bad cholesterol levels in the body.
- They help with constipation, lung problems, cardiac problems as well as are good for hair, teeth, and nails.
- The Omega-3 fatty acids present in almonds are good for the heart and brain.
Cashews are a good source of healthy nutrients. They also provide a lot of benefits to human health. They have the following health advantages.
- These nuts are high in many types of vitamins , the most important are vitamin E and B6.
- Vitamin E present in cashews is good for healthy and vibrant skin.
- Cashews have a rich nutty texture. They can enhance the flavor of meals as well as can make your health better.
Walnuts have a shell with a lot of nutrients inside it. Its health benefits are following:
- Walnuts are packed with Omega-3 fatty acids, dietary fiber, antioxidants, and proteins.
- Walnuts are also good for weight loss.
- They are very filling and can help curb your cravings. They are good for cardiovascular health.
Pistachios are very popular among dried fruits. They have the following health benefits.
- Pistachios are beneficial for the heart since they decrease harmful cholesterol levels.
- They regulate blood pressure and blood sugar levels.Hence, they are good for diabetics.
- Pistachios also provide greater immunity and the ability to fight against diseases.
They are used in cooking various dishes because of their numerous health benefits. Following are the advantages of dried apricots.
- Dried apricots can fulfil your daily requirements of Vitamin A.
- It also provides potassium, vitamin E, and copper.
- Vitamin E is also antioxidants and is very helpful for protecting our skin against harmful free radicals.
- It keeps the skin healthy, plump, and glowing.
Peanuts are a popular winter snack and a common dry fruit. Peanuts health benefits.
- Peanuts are a very rich source of Omega-3 fatty acids.
- They contain high amounts of vitamin K, E, and zinc.
- They boost immunity and good for providing a glowy skin.
- Vitamin K present in peanuts. It plays a role in helping the blood clot formation after injury. So, it is important to have enough vitamin K in our bodies.
All these dried fruits benefit the human body in different healthy ways. But always remember to keep in mind the portions of dried fruit that your body needs in order to stay healthy.
Side effects Of Eating Too Much Dried Fruit
It is true that dried fruits are very good to include in your diet. But if you eat more than the recommended amount of dry fruit, they can have harmful effects on the human body. Following are the harms of eating dried fruit.
Dried fruits have a great amount of fiber. Fiber is an important component of diet to improve and regulate your digestive health. But a greater than normal amount of fiber is not good for your health. As it can cause gastrointestinal problems.
Dry fruits may cause you to have many digestive problems. These problems include gas, abdominal cramping, bloating, constipation, or possibly diarrhea. Avoid these health problems by dividing your dried fruit intake into small portions.
If you need to increase your fiber intake, increase the quantity of fiber in your diet slowly.
Even the smaller portions of dried fruits contain too many calories. So eating a lot of dried fruit enhances your caloric intake and you start to gain weight.
Dried fruits also contain fructose that is fruit sugar. This high amount of sugar can also contribute to increased weight gain and a bloated stomach. Also, dried fruits have carbs and fats that play their part in making you gain extra pounds.
So, it is important to eat dried fruits in very small quantities keeping in mind your calorie requirements.
Dried fruits contain a lot of natural sugar that is called fructose. . Some types of dried fruits are also packed in added sugar. It prevents them from sticking to each other. It also keeps them dry.
Sugar is one of the main culprits that causes tooth decay.Sticky food such as dried fruit is especially harmful because they stick to teeth forming t pes on your teeth. So, brush your teeth right after eating dry fruits to avoid tooth decay.
Question: Is dried fruit healthier than candy?
Answer: Dried fruit is healthier than candy, as candy is just a sugar bomb and dried fruit contains a lot of vitamins and minerals that are very beneficial for human health. Dried fruits are much better than candy as candies do not have any health effects.
Question: Is dried fruit healthy for pregnancy?
Answer: Yes, dried fruit is healthy for pregnancy as it contains a lot of nutrients that are important for the growth of a developing baby. However, some dry fruits may cause gas, bloating, or diarrhea, so it is important to consult your doctor first.
Question: Can I eat dried fruit every day?
Answer: Yes, you can eat dried fruit every day. But it is important to eat dried fruit according to the portion size. Keep in mind your caloric intake and eat dried fruit accordingly. Eating too much dried fruit can cause you to gain extra pounds.
Question: Which dried fruit has the least amount of sugar?
Answer: If you are searching for a dried fruit that has the least amount of sugar, then dried apricot is a good choice for you. Dried apricots also provide a good amount of gut friendly fiber. If the added sugar is low, you can enjoy them freely.
Is dried fruit healthy? Dried fruit is relatively high in calories. Common dried fruits have 38 to 66 percent of sugar. And eating too much dried fruit can be dangerous for health in terms of causing weight gain and other diseases. So, you need to avoid dried fruits with added sugar.
Always read the package before buying dried fruits. Dried fruits are a good source of nutrition and fiber but they have a lot of calories.For this reason, you should eat dried fruits in a calculated amount.