Hawaiian bread is one of the most popular snacks that Americans love. People love to eat it with different snacks, meals, and even alone. Its stretchy texture and sweet taste make it a perfect partner for many other food items. So, the question now arises- is Hawaiian bread healthy?
Hawaiian bread is not harmful to health if you eat its slices once in a while and that too in moderate quantities. This bread is unhealthy only if you eat its too many slices as they are rich in calories. But everything in excess is bad, and there is no need to single out Hawaiian bread only.
If you want to know how you can make Hawaiian bread at home and which foods you can eat with it, then continue reading!
Table of Content
Hawaiian Bread Pros and Cons
Hawaiian bread is a little soft, light, and sweet bread that people love to eat with almost everything. But does its excess consumption cause several harmful effects on the body?
Yes, and the reason is the high calories and carbs in the blood. Still, some people think eating this bread in an appropriate way is healthy instead of being unhealthy.
So, when is Hawaiian sweet bread healthy? Let’s take a look at Hawaiian bread’s nutritional value first. One serving of Hawaiian bread has the following nutritional content:
In addition to this, Hawaiian bread also contains Vitamin A, C, iron, and calcium. So, eating Hawaiian bread in moderation can prove to be beneficial.
When is Hawaiian bread unhealthy? The situation gets worse when you start eating more slices every day. You will intake high calories, fat, and sodium content that can cause diabetes, obesity, the rise of bad cholesterol levels, and heart problems.
You can reduce these components by using healthy alternatives (described later in the recipe section).
How To Make Hawaiian Bread? (Hawaiian Bread Recipe)
You can easily make Hawaiian bread or roll at home. Want to know which ingredients make Hawaiian bread?
- Two tbsp warm water
- One tbsp Yeast
- 3/4th cup of Pineapple juice
- One-third cup of brown sugar
- Two eggs
- Two tbsp salt
- One tbsp vanilla
- One and a half cups of melted butter
- Take yeast in a bowl and add a little warm water to it. Then, stir it slightly, and you will see bubbles start to form. The emergence of these bubbles is necessary for two reasons:
- If you see bubbles, it means that the yeast has not expired.
- The water you have added was too warm, and now the yeast is “dead” and is not useable.
- After knowing that the yeast is good, it is time for you to add ingredients. Start by adding eggs, brown sugar, melted butter, and fruit juice (pineapple juice). Stir it a little, and then add vanilla and salt.
- Next, whisk all of these ingredients for proper mixing.
- Now, it is time to add flour to the mixture. Add half a cup at a time for calculated addition. When the four and a half cup of flour has been added, the dough will start to come together from the sides of the bowl.
- Now, do some hard work to achieve a greater thing (Hawaiian bread in this case). Start the kneading and do this for almost 15 minutes. It is important for you to do the kneading as this makes the bread elastic and stretchy.
- When you are done, stretch the dough a little. The dough should not break away and should be thin. To check if the dough is thin enough, see if there is any light passing through it. If yes, then the dough is perfect. You can do this with any yeast dough to check whether the kneading is done enough or not. Doing kneading less will make the dough crumbly.
- When the dough is kneaded enough, spray a little non-sticky liquid on plastic wrap and then put the dough back in the pan and cover it completely with the sprayed wrap for about an hour. Provide it with a little warmth to make it soft. The dough will start rising due to the warm temperature.
- Next, divide the dough and make equal rolls out of it. You can then stretch them further in a bread shape.
- In the next step, again spray plastic wrap with a non-sticky liquid and cover the bread in plastic wrap to again increase the volume.
- When the size is increased, it is time to put the bread in a 350 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven. This baking will turn the color into brown and ready to be eaten.
It’s also completely fine if you don’t want to make the Hawaiian bread/rolls at home and just like to purchase from the market. The popular Hawaiian bread manufacturing company is King’s. Now, you might be wondering- Is King’s Hawaiian bread good for you?
Is King’s Hawaiian bread healthy?
No, king’s Hawaiian bread is made from 50 chemicals, including additives and sweeteners. Plus, there is also a high-calorie content in this bread (more than double that of regular bread). So, King’s Hawaiian bread is not healthy.
How To Eat Hawaiian Bread?
You can do a lot of things with Hawaiian bread. People mostly love to just put butter or jam on the bread’s slices for a delicious snack. Wondering, Is butter on the bread healthy? Not particularly as the fat content in it can cause heart diseases. However, eating such slices once in a while is not damaging.
You can also make sandwiches with these slices of bread. You can put the following in middle to make a sandwich with Hawaiian bread slices:
- Ham and Cheese
- Turkey and Cheese
- Roasted Beef
- Meatballs and mozzarella
- Bacon and cheese
- Scrambled eggs and bacon
- Barbeque chicken sliders
- Corned beef and marinated sauce
Are Hawaiian Rolls Gluten-Free?
The gluten status of Hawaiian mainly depends on the flour you are adding. Wheat flour or any other grain flour contains gluten, so Hawaiian bread will also have some gluten in it. If you want it to become gluten-free, you can add Tapioca flour. However, Tapioca flour’s nutritional value is poor and contains very few vitamins and minerals.
Those who have diabetes often ask, Can diabetics eat Hawaiian bread? No, and the reason is the calories and sugar content.
People also ask, “Can you lose weight with Hawaiian bread? Well, yes, but only if you are eating Keto.
But what about if you start eating the Hawaiian Keto bread?
Is Hawaiian Keto Bread Healthy?
Hawaiian keto bread contains no sugar, so it is healthy to eat. Plus, Soy and wheat are the two main ingredients in Hawaiian keto bread, which contains vital nutrients.
One slice of Hawaiian keto bread has 35 calories, 8 grams of fiber, and a very low-fat content. Since the calories and sugar are low, you can lose weight by eating it and then exercising.
Can pets eat Hawaiian Bread?
Yes, pets (especially dogs) can eat Hawaiian bread. However, make sure that the dogs don’t eat too much of this bread. Hawaiian bread is a great food that will make the pets feel full for a longer period.
How Long can Hawaiian Bread stay safe?
At room temperature, Hawaiian bread can last for 48 hours. You can increase the lifespan by putting the bread in a refrigerator. If you put the Hawaiian bread in a plastic bag and then put it in a refrigerator, it will stay in good condition for months.
Is Hawaiian Bread Vegan?
No, Hawaiian bread contains butter and eggs, so vegans can’t eat it. Unfortunately, there is also no replacement of eggs and butter in the recipe to make vegan Hawaiian bread.
All-inclusive, Hawaiian bread is a popular bread in the USA due to its stretchy texture and sweet taste. People love to eat it with different snacks and meals. But, Is Hawaiian bread healthy or not? Hawaiian bread slices do not cause any damage to health if you eat them once in a while and in moderation.
However, if you consume these slices regularly, then the calories, sodium, and carbs in them will start causing health complications. So, if you want to enjoy eating Hawaiian bread slices and stay healthy, then don’t overeat them.