Is Corn Healthy? Myths Busted and Facts Revealed!
Corn has become an extremely popular ingredient in many food items. But, Is corn good for you to eat? The answer is yes. Corn that comes from natural sources is always good to eat. Corn is used as a filler to add flavors, consistency, and taste to soups, bread, sauces, and many other food items.
But, Is corn healthy to eat?
Natural corn is very beneficial for our health because it contains a rich amount of complex carbohydrates that provide energy. Therefore, you must include it in your healthy diet plan to enjoy its benefits.
Apart from its health benefits, corn is always controversial among health experts. The article is going to reveal all the facts and myths about eating corn.
Table of Content
- 1 Corn Nutrition Facts
- 2 Is Corn Healthy? Queries Answered!
- 3 Corn Benefits and Side Effects
- 4 Boiled Corn Benefits
- 5 Why Is Sweet Corn Good for You?
- 6 FAQs
- 7 Bottom Line
Corn Nutrition Facts
Corn Nutritional value per 100 g is important to know before making it a part of a healthy diet. There are 86 calories in 100 grams of corn. Here is the table demonstrating Nutritional Information about corn.
|Nutrients||% Daily Values|
|Total fats 1.18 g||2%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0%|
|Sodium 15 mg||1%|
|Total Carbs 19.2 g||7%|
|Dietary fiber 2.7 g||10%|
|Sugars 3.22 g|
|Proteins 3.22 g|
|Iron 0.52 g||3%|
|Potassium 270 mg||6%|
|Vitamin A 10 mcg||1%|
|Vitamin C 6.8 mg||8%|
|Thiamine 0.69 g||4%|
All these nutrients in corn are very healthy for the human body. They can fulfill the basic human body requirements.
Is Corn Healthy? Queries Answered!
Corn is a low-fat complex carbohydrate. It’s nutrient dense nature makes it a regular part of a healthy meal. The kernels or seeds of corn are packed with high Nutritional content. People consume corn most commonly for its rich taste and amazing health benefits.
So, Is corn healthy? It depends on where it came from. There are so many varieties of corn. Some of them are very healthy. It depends on the place your corn comes from.
Natural and unprocessed corn is the most healthy variety of corn. Here are the answers to some common queries about corn and its impacts on human health:
Is Corn Good for Weight Loss?
This question is very common among fitness-conscious people. They may ask, Is corn flour good for weight loss? Well, when it comes to weight loss, boiled corn is the healthiest option.
This is because the nutritional value of corn remains preserved when it is boiled and you get all the essential nutrients that your body needs.
Often, trying to lose weight becomes a burden as we tend to believe that starvation can help us lose weight. This is not true. To lose weight, the right kind of nutrient-rich food is necessary.
Corn is the best snack to lose weight. Popcorn is especially healthy and filling. It contains an excellent percentage of fiber.
Popcorn without any salt cooked in a tablespoon of coconut oil can aid in weight loss. A 100 gram serving of corn contains 7 gram of fiber that is helpful for losing extra weight.
Is Corn Good For Diabetes?
Corn is good for diabetics, but they should take care of the amount of corn they eat. Diabetics should always be conscious about the glycemic index of the food they take.
Corn has a low glycemic index in a certain amount. Eating above that limit can spike blood sugar levels and can be problematic for diabetic individuals.
Half a cup of corn has a 15g glycemic index that is safe for an individual with diabetes. It can be beneficial. But eating above that limit can have adverse effects.
Is Corn Safe to Eat in Pregnancy?
Pregnancy is a phase where a female needs extra nutrients and minerals. All these vitamins and minerals should be present in her diet throughout the phase of pregnancy.
Eating Sweet corn will be a delightful choice during this phase. Corn is a source of vitamin B12 that can prevent the risk of iron deficiency anemia in pregnant women.
Vitamin A present in corn can boost immunity during pregnancy. Folate present in corn can reduce the risk of birth defects and promote fetal health.
Is Canned Corn Good For You?
A lot of people use high fructose syrup and corn syrup solids that are not healthy. This is because they contain processed corn derivatives. Canned corn is genetically modified corn that can have harmful effects on the health of human organs.
GMOs in canned corn can negatively affect your kidneys, liver, and other detoxifying organs. It can also affect hormonal functions.
If you’re having organic, non-GMO corn, that can be healthy. The processed corn is mostly inflammatory whereas the sprouted corn is healthy. Before you buy corn, always make sure it is a whole corn.
Is Corn Gluten-free?
Corn contains a substance called gluten, which might sound scary. But it is not gluten, most people are sensitive too. It is safe for gluten-insensitive people and celiacs.
Although corn contains grain, it doesn’t contain gluten the same as wheat and other grains. The corm is from a different type of grain family and hence totally safe to consume.
Corn Benefits and Side Effects
Corn is a very popular cereal grain that is used in a lot food items.As a good source of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, it has so many advantages for health.
On the other hand, eating more than the recommended amount of corn can have side effects too. Here are the common health benefits and side effects of eating corn:
Corn is an excellent choice for a healthy balanced diet. It is very effective to fulfill nutrient deficiencies. Here are its common health benefits:
- Flavonoids present in corn are compounds that help to protect your body against various ailments like lung cancer and oral cancer.
- Dietary intake of antioxidants such as Lutein present in corn can promote eye health, reduce the risk of cataracts.
- The fiber is a source of fiber that can minimize the risk of heart diseases and cancer.
- Corn contains potassium, phosphorus, vitamin A, E, K, and other essential nutrients. These nutrients play a vital role in growth of human body.
- Ferulic acid present in corn has anti-inflammatory and anti-aging properties.
- Corn is a healthy source of folate that prevents the risk of anemia and helps in the formation of red blood cells in anemic people.
- The fiber present in corn helps to reduce cholesterol in the body and helps prevent constipation.
- Corn contains carbohydrates that are a good source of energy. They are a fuel for your brain and body.
- Vitamin C in corn increases collagen production in the skin and prevents UV damage.
- Corn can be an excellent post-workout snack as it fulfills muscle energy requirements.
Eating excess corn can be dangerous for health. This can adversely affect most of our body systems. Here are some common side effects of eating excess unhealthy corn:
- Corn can spike blood sugar levels and may cause weight gain if you eat too much of it.
- Corn can interfere with the insulin response of the body and can compromise immunity in some people.
- Eating excess amounts of corn can cause bloating and constipation in people with digestive disorders.
However, these effects are only common in unhealthy people or those who are allergic to corn. Otherwise, corn has a long list of health benefits.
Boiled Corn Benefits
Eating boiled corn is not only delicious, but it also gives your body plenty of important nutrients. It has the following health benefits:
- Good for the digestive system
- Reduces risk of cardiovascular diseases
- Removes harmful free radicals
- Improves blood flow
- Prevents kidney failure
- Slows down aging
These benefits of boiled corn make it a popular food choice to include in soups and pizza toppings. It is especially beneficial for those who want to achieve a healthy fitness goal.
Why Is Sweet Corn Good for You?
Quantity of antioxidants in sweet corn is greater than any other variety of corn. It is very advantageous for people who want to achieve and maintain their body health. It is beneficial because:
- It improves digestion and relaxes the intestine helping you to have a healthy gut.
- It is rich in folate and keeps your heart healthy, and prevents cardiovascular disorders.
- Sweet corn has a greater amount of vitamin C, so it can control blood cholesterol levels.
- It can control diabetes and hypertension.
- It is a good source of thiamine that improves brain functioning and strengthens your bones.
Except for those having diabetes, sweet corn is the best healthy food option. It can help you enjoy healthy meals along with gaining essential nutrients.
Question: Is corn a vegetable?
Corn is grown in farms and then its kernels are separated to make different delicious recipes. Corn is harvested from plants, so it is a vegetable. But it’s kernels are grains.
Question: Can I eat Corn daily?
Yes, you can eat corn daily but try to eat in a moderate quantity. Boiled corn is the best choice if you want to add corn to your everyday diet. You can add it to your delicious soups. Many people pair it with healthy vegetables.
Question: Can you eat too much corn?
No, it is not wise to eat too much corn. Eating too much of it can harm your body by increasing blood sugar levels.It can also make you gain more weight. Moreover, you can face issues like bloating and constipation.
Is corn healthy? The answer is yes! But quantity and quality always matter a lot. Eating natural corn can be healthy in various ways but the one that is processed can be harmful.
If you want to consume corn, look for organic corn from a local farm. This is an easier way to make sure you’re consuming corn that is good for you to eat.