2020, this new year is supposed to be cheerful. We entered the new decade with lots of hope. As heartbroken as it sounds, humanity is going through devastating suffering. As we speak for the moment, a deadly virus, Coronavirus or COVID-19, is spreading across the world.
The doctors and scientists are provisioning to wash our hands more frequently. Regular cleaning hands and face is the only prevention for Coronavirus. For you, we wrote this article to make DIY hand sanitizer. So, you won’t run out of sanitizer in the meantime.
Table of Content
- 1 Why Do You Need a Hand Sanitizer?
- 2 What Do You Need For DIY Hand Sanitizer?
- 3 How to Make Hand Sanitizer at Home?
- 4 Does The Hand Sanitizer Work?
- 5 Pros and Cons of DIY Hand Sanitizer:
- 6 Buying Hand Sanitizer Online:
- 7 Benefits of Handwashing:
- 8 Other Measures For Safety:
- 9 Bottom Line
Why Do You Need a Hand Sanitizer?
Hand sanitizer is a chemical compound to disinfect your hands and other parts of the body. It contains mainly alcohol solutions to suit your body’s normal pH. It does not irritate your tissues and is safe to use. It is better than regular soaps in many ways.
Coronavirus has now become a pandemic across the whole world. Every country is trying heart and soul to combat this disease. The only thing we can do is to wash our hands regularly and thoroughly. The virus spreads as air droplets from one person to another.
What Do You Need For DIY Hand Sanitizer?
The World Health Organization or the WHO has released a hand sanitizer recipe for use. The scientists approved its effectiveness. By following, you can make your own DIY hand sanitizer at home.
The WHO made this recipe for making a larger quantity. The original method is for ten liters. We suggest making adjustments in calculating the ingredients. For easy understanding, we differentiated them for both large and small portions:
For Large Batch:
To make 10 liters hand sanitizer
- 96% Ethanol or 99.8% Isopropyl alcohol 99.8%: 8.3 liter
- 3% Hydrogen peroxide: 417 milliliter
- 98% Glycerol or normal Vaseline: 145 milliliter
For a Small Batch:
To make a 1-liter hand sanitizer.
- 96% Ethanol or 99.98% Isopropyl Alcohol: 833 milliliter
- 3% Hydrogen peroxide: 41.7 milliliter
- 98% Glycerol: 145ml / 14.5 milliliter
For Mixing and Storage:
- A large glass bowl or container
- Sterile metal container with lid
- A wooden or metal spoon – for proper mixing
- Shaker – to make a solution
- Measuring cup or graded cylinder – accurate calculation
- A plastic or metal funnel – Pour into other pots
- An alcohol meter – to measure the concentration of alcohol in weight by volume
- Small glass or plastic pump containers – for portable use
How to Make Hand Sanitizer at Home?
Follow these easy steps to make a DIY hand sanitizer at home:
- First, clean all equipment in lukewarm water using detergent or dish soap. Or you can keep them in the dishwasher for 10 minutes.
- Measure Ethanol or Isopropyl alcohol using the alcoholmeter. Add clean water to adjust to the recommended concentration. Put it into a glass or metal bowl.
- Measure other chemicals and put them into separate bowls.
- Take a large clean container and pour the alcohol solution. Mix it thoroughly with a wooden or metal spoon.
- Take the funnel and pour hydrogen peroxide into the bowl.
- Wash the funnel with water. Pour glycerin into the bowl using the funnel. Rinse while pouring it as water prevents glycerin from clogging.
- Weigh the container to see the volume of liquids.
- Mix the liquids evenly and discard any bubble formation.
- Take out your metal container and pour the mixture into it.
- Add clean water up to 10 liters or 1-liter mark using a measuring cylinder. Leave some space above to avoid spilling.
- Mix the solution slowly by stirring the spoon. Don’t spill it.
- Quickly close the lid of the container. Make it airtight. It will prevent the alcohol solution from evaporation.
- You also can shake the container using a shaker for better mixing.
- Wait for the next 48 to 72 hours. Keep the container in a cold and dark place. Do not heat it. It will help to eliminate remaining bacterial spores or organisms.
- Open the lid and check the concentration using an alcohol meter.
- If the concentration is above 60%, the solution is ready to use. Check for any bubbling or color change.
- Pour it into smaller containers for outdoor or traveling.
Does The Hand Sanitizer Work?
Probably wondering, does this DIY hand sanitizer work? If it does, is it the same as the regular sanitizers? Believe it or not, this has an equal effect as the regular ones. The companies may use fancy names or gigs for promoting their sanitizers. In the long run, the main ingredient is the same. It is either Ethanol or Isopropanol.
The DIY hand sanitizer works in the same way. It can kill most of the bacteria spores. It also destroys all viruses having a lipid envelope. So, it can wash off the Coronavirus from your hands.
Pros and Cons of DIY Hand Sanitizer:
In this crisis, the idea of DIY hand sanitizer can come quite handy. With proper instructions, this solution can be as good as the original. But there may be some drawbacks.
- DIY hand sanitizer is easier to make.
- You can find the necessary ingredients in a local shop.
- It works as same as the branded sanitizers.
- You can adjust the amount according to your needs.
- It destroys bacteria and viruses, including the Coronavirus.
- It doesn’t irritate your skin.
- It is not toxic. It does not cause any disease.
- You can use it for washing other surfaces like the kitchen, table, phone, wall, etc.
- You can use it for kids. It does not dry up their skin.
- Some people may incorrectly measure alcohol concentration and this may reduce its effectiveness.
- Due to the lack of preservatives, it may not for a long time.
- Do not use it if you have skin irritation or rashes.
Buying Hand Sanitizer Online:
Don’t want the hassle of making DIY hand sanitizer? You can buy it online. We have searched for the topmost hand sanitizer on Amazon and other sites.
Here is the list of most convenient hand sanitizers on Amazon:
Babyganics Alcohol-Free Foaming Hand Sanitizer
It is one of the best seller items on Amazon. This product uses a natural formulation. It has almost zero side effects. It goes well with any type of skin. It is suitable for kids, too.
St. Meige Hand Sanitizer:
It kills 99.99% of germs. It is non-irritant and non-toxic. It also contains vitamin E and moisturizers.
Cleanwell Hand Sanitizer:
This product uses only natural ingredients. It is free of alcohol. It comes in 8 oz. pump six-packs.
Monster Fight Gear Hand Sanitizer Gel:
This product uses ethanol. It also has activated solver ions for better protection. It comes in a cylindrical pack containing about two pounds of product. You can use it for household things.
Eva.Ruan Hand Sanitizer:
This brand uses an alcohol-free composition. It is purely natural. No added chemicals. It gives 24 hours of protection. It comes in small travel sizes.
Benefits of Handwashing:
Regular hand washing is good practice. Whether it is Coronavirus or not, wash your hands. Clean your face regularly. Do not go outside without a mask. Whenever you come home, cleanse your body thoroughly. Do not visit someone with suspected disease.
Washing your hands limits the transmission of almost every infectious disease. Our hands touch everything, clean or not clean. Recent studies show that a virus can survive up to a week on any inanimate object. Suppose, you have touched a gate that came in contact with a patient. By washing your hands immediately, you can reduce the chance of getting infected.
Other Measures For Safety:
“Prevention is better than cure”. This quote perfectly aligns with the recent corona outbreak. Not to mention, the researchers are struggling to find a cure. It is best to keep yourself safe.
These are things you can do during the outbreak:
- Keep yourself in-home quarantine. Avoid going into public spaces like stations, shops, parks, etc.
- Maintain good body hygiene. Shower regularly. Use antibacterial soap or gel.
- Wash your hands and feet before entering the home.
- Keep your home clean. Keep your windows closed.
- Do not visit anyone with the disease. If you do, clean your body and clothes thoroughly.
- Wear a mask wherever you go. Discard the used mask into the dustbin.
- Visit a doctor if you have any symptoms of the disease.
- Eat and drink healthy. Boost up your immune system.
- Stay positive. In mind, not with the disease!
Stay at Home and Follow CDC update and guideline always.
We know this time is very heartbreaking and gloomy. But, we can not give up. Maintaining good health can be tough for us. Being sad and doing nothing is not a solution. Keep yourself and your family safe. DIY hand sanitizer and wash your hands frequently.
Stay healthy. Stay cheerful. We hope this article will help you. Thanks for reading.