Did you miss your period even after being on birth control? Are you wondering if you have gotten pregnant? There are many possible reasons other than pregnancy for one to be late for their periods.
But, when one does not get their period on time, pregnancy is the first thought that crosses their mind. And the tension increases even more if you are on contraceptives like nexplanon.
So, what are the signs of pregnancy when on nexplanon?
If a person is experiencing any symptoms and signs of pregnancy on nexplanon such as late period, nausea, vomiting, mood swings, frequent urination then it may be due to complications other than pregnancy. The reasons why one may face such symptoms include many other complications.
If you are still worried and interested in knowing the details, this article will be of great help. So, continue reading!
Table of Content
Signs of Pregnancy on Nexplanon
Nexplanon is a sort of contraception that rarely fails and causes pregnancy. If you are under birth control but still missed your period then it can be either one of the two.
Either the contraceptive failed to work and you are pregnant or some other complications are causing this. How will you understand the signs of pregnancy on nexplanon?
As nexplanon is a contraceptive it may contradict a few of the signs and symptoms. If you are using nexplanon and still you are facing the following signs and symptoms then you should get a pregnancy test and consult a doctor
- Missed period
- Bleeding or spotting from the site of the implantation
- Nausea and vomiting
- Breast tenderness
- Mood swings
- Polyuria or increased and frequent passage of urine
As it is very rare to get pregnant while one is on birth control one should consult a doctor immediately if they have the above-mentioned symptoms. It may indicate certain complications other than pregnancy that might require immediate treatment.
These conditions include:
If a woman is facing the above-mentioned symptoms then they should immediately consult a doctor. They should also take advice from a gynecologist if they get a positive pregnancy test result.
Likewise, if a woman has signs of pregnancy even after getting a negative pregnancy test result then she should consult a doctor.
If you want to use nexplanon as a contraceptive then there are a few things that you need to know. There are both advantages and disadvantages of using nexplanon. So, a piece of basic knowledge of it will help you to remain aware while using it.
All You Need to Know About Nexplanon
Nexplanon is one of the simplest and easiest methods of contraception. It is very convenient for long time prevention of fertilization and pregnancy. This implant is inserted intradermally on the upper arm of an individual by a single doctor’s appointment.
What is Nexplanon?
Nexplanon is a birth control implant that is small in size and rod-shaped. It is about the size of a matchstick. This birth control implant prevents fertilization and the process of conceiving by releasing hormones into your body.
The implant is inserted intradermally into an individual’s arm by a nurse or doctor. This implant stays in your body and releases hormones thus providing contraception for the next five years. The implant releases slow and steady doses of hormone so that it does not cause any complications related to the oversecretion of hormones.
This is an easy way of contraception and it saves you the trouble of reminding yourself to take pills regularly.
How Does Nexplanon Work?
Nexplanon is a type of contraception that is small in size and thin rod-shaped. Its appearance is similar to that of a matchstick.
An older version of nexplanon is available that is called Implanon. The implant is inserted intradermally in the upper arm of the patient. This implant releases a hormone named progestin that prevents a woman from getting pregnant.
The hormones that are released by nexplanon prevents pregnancy in two significant ways. These are:
- The progestin released from the nexplanon thickens the mucous layer of the cervix which is the lowermost part of the uterus. This thickening of the mucus lining of the cervix prevents the sperm to reach the egg or ova.
Sperms swim in the uterus to meet an egg or ova to fertilize. But due to the thickening of the mucus membrane, they fail to swim and thus can not fertilize with the egg. When the sperm fails to reach the ova then fertilization does not occur and thus one cannot get pregnant.
- The ovaries of a woman produce an egg or ova which passes from the ovary to the uterus through the uterine tube or fallopian tube.
The process of the eggs or ova leaving the ovaries and entering into the uterus is known as ovulation. Sperm meets the ova in the uterus and thus causes pregnancy after fertilization. If the ova does not enter the uterus then the sperm would not be able to meet the ova.
Thus, fertilization and pregnancy will not occur.
The hormone progestin that is released by the nexplanon also provides contraception by preventing the ova from entering into the uterus. As a result, there is no egg present in the uterus to be fertilized by the sperm. So, pregnancy does not occur.
One of the best things about nexplanon is that it is a reversible process. If a person changes their mind and decides that they want to get pregnant then they can easily do that by removing the implant from their body.
Another advantage of having nexplanon is that it protects for a long time. One can prevent pregnancy for up to five years by taking nexplanon. This saves a person from the inconvenience of taking pills regularly and also from the tension of mistakenly forgetting to take a pill.
So, this is easier and simpler to use as you can act completely on what you decide. As it is reversible, not a permanent process you can easily get pregnant after taking it out.
Advantages of Using Nexplanon
Nexplanon has many beneficial effects. It is used by many women to have safe and protected intercourse. It removes the inconvenience of daily intake of contraceptive pills by protecting them for a long period as long as five years.
The advantages of nexplanon include the following:
- Usage of nexplanon is a very simple and easy process.
- It is a short, simple, and less time-consuming procedure. One can go to a doctor and easily get nexplanon implanted intradermally in their upper arm within a few minutes.
- It is a reversible process. One can remove it any time if one wants to get pregnant.
- After removal of the implant, one gains quick fertility. They do not have to wait to try to get pregnant if they want to.
- This contraception lasts for a long period as much as five years.
- Nexplanon removes the interruption in intercourse for contraception.
- This implant saves one the trouble of intake of daily oral contraception.
- Nexplanon secretes progesterone hormone. It does not secrete estrogens.
Contradictions of Nexplanon
Nexplanon can not be prescribed to every woman. There are a few conditions in which a doctor will advise you to not take nexplanon as it might not be appropriate for you.
These conditions include:
- If a person is allergic to any of the constituents that are present in the implant.
- If a person has a history of liver disease or liver tumors.
- If a person previously suffered from a heart attack or stroke or severe blood clots.
- If a person has a previous history of breast cancer or suspected or diagnosed breast cancer.
- If a person is suffering from abnormal bleeding from the genitals that have not been diagnosed yet.
- If a person is suffering from depression.
- If a person has diabetes mellitus.
- A person having any kind of gallbladder disease should not be given nexplanon.
- A patient with high blood pressure and high cholesterol should not be given nexplanon as a contraceptive.
- A person suffering from epilepsy or seizure should not take nexplanon as it is inserted intradermally. The seizures will cause difficulty in the process and thus leading to complications.
Many people have the misconception that a person who is overweight can not take nexplanon as a method of contraception. But, being overweight does not contradict taking this implant.
If a person takes herbal products and medications then the level of progestin in the blood decreases as these products play a role in reducing progestin in blood. As a result the effectiveness of contraception also decreases.
Other medications that act on nexplanon include HIV medications, seizure medications, a few sedatives, etc. One should consult their doctor and provide them proper history before taking medications.
Risks of Using Nexplanon
Nexplanon has very few risk factors. One of the main risks is that it does not give protection against sexually transmitted diseases.
You need to use a condom even after being on nexplanon to prevent being infected by STDs. Sometimes signs of pregnancy on nexplanon may arise due to other complications than pregnancy.
The side effects of using birth control implant include the following:
- Back pain and abdominal pain
- The vaginal bleeding pattern changes
- There might be an absence of menstruation which is known as amenorrhea
- The risk of developing ovarian cyst increases
- Mood swings and depression
- Nausea and vomiting
- Develops mild insulin resistance
- Tenderness of breast
- Weight gain
- Vaginal inflammation or dryness
Does Nexplanon prevent STDs ( sexually transmitted diseases)?
No, nexplanon does not protect an individual from STDs. One should use protection such as condoms to prevent the transmission of sexually transmitted diseases.
Does nexplanon cause weight gain?
Yes, nexplanon might cause weight gain. Not every woman faces this side effect. Everyone’s body acts and works differently. Nexplanon might cause weight gain in some. If the weight gain is severe then one can easily get the remedy by removing the implant.
How long will it take to conceive after removing the implant?
It does not take long for an individual to gain fertility after removing nexplanon. Within a week or so after removal of the implant one becomes fertile and then they can start trying to get pregnant.
Does the implant need to be replaced?
The birth control implant must be replaced after three years of the first insertion. The doctor might advise one to replace it earlier. But it’s only applicable if one develops health-related issues.
Health problems may include heart disease or stroke, migraine, depression, jaundice, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol level.
If you are facing signs of pregnancy on nexplanon then it is very likely to be due to other complications rather than pregnancy.
While using any kind of contraceptives, it’s your duty to ensure your own safety. So, try to stay protected and healthy with the proper use of nexplanon. Also, consider consulting the gynecologist immediately and seek treatment in case of even minor inconveniences. Talking to a doctor will always solve your problems.