Is There Any Protein Powder That Doesn’t Cause Acne? A Complete Guide
Concerned with sudden acne flare-ups? Go through your diet plan. Did you add up protein powder recently? This might be the root of your inconvenience. But don’t worry, you have got this. Maybe you have just picked the wrong protein powder.
Protein shake is an important part of your diet if you are looking forward in building a healthy muscular body. Or you may also consume it, in case you want to decrease your weight. Work out, proper diet and building the perfect abs may get all of your attention in this case.
But! You are missing out something! And that’s your face- the most sensitive part of all I may say. You might notice acne aggravating just after including protein powder in your diet. There are some ingredients in some particular protein powder that are causing your acne. You just need to choose the right one for you.
In this article I will give you a complete idea on best protein powders for acne prone skin so that you can tackle your acne effectively while continuing with your gym routine.
Table of Content
- 1 Protein Powder Free From Acne Effects
- 2 5 Best Protein Powders for Acne Prone Skin
- 2.1 1. KOS Organic Plant Based Protein Powder
- 2.2 2. Vega One Organic Meal Replacement Plant Based Protein Powder
- 2.3 3. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant Based Protein Powder
- 2.4 4. Orgain Organic Plant Based Protein Powder
- 2.5 5. SB Organics Vegan Protein Powder
- 3 Whey Protein Powder and Acne
- 4 3 Protein Powder That Doesn’t Cause Bloating
- 5 The FAQs About Protein Powder and Acne
- 6 Conclusion
Protein Powder Free From Acne Effects
You know a good number of protein powders are available in the market. Which one should you prefer? For picking the best one you must know what a good protein powder consists of. Though everyone has a disparate trigger, commonly you may judge them basing on the following criteria:
- Choosing plant based proteins
- Avoid milk based protein powders
- Not to add milk to protein shakes
- Prefer low sugar
- Do not add any artificial sweeteners
- Prioritise vegan protein powders
- Go for soy free options
- Check the vitamin B12 content to see if high level supplements are present as they can worsen your acne condition.
- Look for extra ingredients like probiotics, enzymes, certain vitamins and omega 3s’ as they may possibly help with your acne.
5 Best Protein Powders for Acne Prone Skin
Now I will give you the list of 5 best protein powders for acne prone skin:
1. KOS Organic Plant Based Protein Powder
- Organic protein blend contains organic pea protein, flax seed, quinoa, pumpkin seed protein, chia seed.
- Digestive enzyme blend consists of amylase, protease, lipase, lactase and cellulose.
- Fruits and vegetable blend is made with tomato, brocolli, carrot, cranberry, apple and orange.
- Others: Organic coconut milk, cocoa powder, insulin, coconut sugar and steuia extract.
- Provides you with 20g of protein.
- Five plant proteins available.
- 11 vitamins and minerals present along with zinc.
- Vitamin B12 content is low
- Digestive enzymes available.
- Soy, gluten and dairy free
- USDA & CCOF organic certified.
- Non genetically modified organsims
- Low sugar content ( 2g per serving)
- Contains stevia which may aggravate acne in some individual.
- Some people complain of it being overly sweet.
2. Vega One Organic Meal Replacement Plant Based Protein Powder
- Veggies and fruit blend made up of carrot, acerola cherry & pomegranade juice powder, spinach, chard, kale, lettuce, blueberry & acai powder.
- Chia seed & maca root powder, quinoa sprouts and spirulina.
- Sunflower & pumpkin seed protein, sacha inchi powder and stevia leaf extract.
- Sea salt, bromelain and xanthan gum.
- Plant based protein which is free from side effects.
- Meal replacement shake
- Vitamin B12 and sugar content is low
- High levels of omega 3 present
- Contains 8 vitamins and minerals per serving along with anti-oxidants and probiotics.
- Certified from USDA organic.
- Soy, gluten and dairy free.
- Variety of flavors available.
- Stevia present may cause acne problem in some people.
- Sodium content is 240mg which is more than ideal.
- Some may find it excessively sweet.
3. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant Based Protein Powder
- 24g organic plant based protein
- Organic rice
- Organic pea
- Organic Sacha Inchi
- Organic Pomegranate powder
- Noticeable grains with decent amount of protein & vitamin C.
- Available in 20 different flavors
- USDA organic certified
- Artificial flavors, colors or sweeteners excluded
- Gluten free
- Chalky texture
- Taste is not up to the mark
- A bit pricey
Author Tips, Read : Top 10 Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Protein Flavors
4. Orgain Organic Plant Based Protein Powder
- Organic protein blend contains organic pea protein, brown rice protein and chia seed
- Organic creamer base consists of organic acacia gum, high oleic sunflower oil
- Organic rice dextrin, rice bran extract & rosemary extract.
- Natural flavors, sea salt, organic stevia and xanthan gum.
- You can pick from available 9 flavors.
- Per serving: 5g dietary fiber, 5g net carbs, 150 calories.
- USDA organic certified
- Soy, gluten, carrageenan and dairy free.
- Free from artificial ingredients
- Mealy texture is not preferable to all
- Need to careful about over consuming.
5. SB Organics Vegan Protein Powder
- Organic pea protein, flax seed, quinoa & pumpkin seed protein
- Organic coconut milk, agava inulin, coconut sugar, himalayan salt, stevia & vanilla flavor
- Contains amylase, protease, lipase, lactase, and cellulase.
- 21g plant based protein
- Only 2g sugar content
- Vitamin B6 present which helps to combat acne.
- Enzyme blend included along with some magnesium.
- USDA certified.
- Soy and gluten free
- According to some people it tastes a bit salty.
- Stevia sensitive people may get acne flare ups.
Whey Protein Powder and Acne
Whey protein powders are the main culprit behind causing acne outbreaks.
There’s many reason why.
- They contain a hormone named IGF-1 which produces excess oil in your skin and also trigger skin cells to multiply too fast. As a result of this, dead cells cannot escape naturally and creates more clogged pores.
- It spikes up your insulin level worsening your acne condition.
- Concentrate whey protein is worse as it contains acne exaggerating intact milk hormones.
- Other harmful ingredients like artificial flavorings, sweeteners, colors and extra sugar are also present here.
Whey protein has more disadvantages than advantages. And also it has got alternatives. So, it is better to curtail off whey protein powder completely.
Vegan Protein Powder
Is your acne demoralizing you? Yes, of course, it’s obvious! I can totally relate with the situation. Don’t panic, vegan protein powder is to the rescue!
Plant based protein powders protect your skin from acne but is still high in protein level. So it helps you to build your desired muscle keeping your skin clear and healthy.
Everything must have a flaw. So it’s applicable for vegan powder too. But the pros here outweigh the cons. Here goes the pros and cons:
- Contains more nutrients, so more healthy.
- Better taste and easily digestible.
- Free from dairy products which is one of the prime cause of acne.
- Free from animal products
- Has more ethical value.
- A bit protein per serving
- More expensive
You might get confused which one to choose admist so many varieties of vegan powder. This is what you can look for:
- Hemp protein
- Pea protein
- Brown rice protein
- Soy protein
- Pumpkin seed protein
3 Protein Powder That Doesn’t Cause Bloating
Protein powders are also likely to cause bloating and stomach aches. Bloated stomach can be very irritating. So, to prevent this unwanted situation, it is better to be choosy while buying them. I will you some idea about protein powders that doesn’t cause bloating:
1. Vega Sport Premium Protein Powder
- Pea protein, pumpkin seed and sunflower seed and alfalfa protein.
- Tart cherry powder, stevia leaf extract, xanthan gum
- Bacillus coagulans, turmeric extract and black pepper extract.
- Contains 30g protein per serving.
- Plant protein from Pumpkin seed and organic pea.
- Keto friendly and low carbs.
- Free from added sugar and dairy.
- Might be a bit more pricey.
2. Garden of Life Sport Organic Plant based Protein
- Organic performance protein blend is made up of organic pea protein, sprouted navy, lentil & garbanzo bean, cranberry protein
- Organic flavor blend contains sea salt, organic stevia extract and vanilla flavors.
- Recovery blend has organic apple, tart cherry, turmeric root and blueberry.
- Manufactured from Cranberry seed, bean and pea.
- Contains anti-oxidant blend
- USDA organic certified
- Dairy free
- Made of natural sweeteners and flavors.
- May not taste that good.
3. Dymatize ISO100 Hydrolyzed Protein Powder
- Hydrolyzed whey protein isolate
- Cocoa processed with alkali
- Soy lecithin and milk
- Less than 1% of salt
- Potassium chloride and sucralose
- 100% Isolate whey protein causes less bloating
- 25g of protein per serving
- Contains essential amino acids
- Might be a little bit more sweet.
The FAQs About Protein Powder and Acne
Q. Which protein is best for acne prone skin?
Other than the above mentioned protein powders there are some other you can choose as well. Here’s a short list:
- Orgain organic plant based protein powder
- 100% pea protein powder
- Paleo Protein Egg White Powder
- Alaya Organic plant based protein powder
Q. Why Protein Powder Causes Acne?
- Dairy and milk products due to the presence of lactose.
- Intake of whey protein may cause spikes in insulin which leads to acne due to increased oil production and greasy skin.
- Increased level of IGF-1 can result from high protein diet leading to acne.
Q. Why Does Protein Powder Cause Constipation and Bloating?
Most Whey protein irritates you with problems like gas, bloating, diarrhoea and stomach aches. These symptoms are generally seen in people with lactose intolerance and it is seen in around 75% of the people worldwide. Sometimes it may cause constipation though it is not much common. This may occur due to slow movement of gut as a result of lactose intolerance.
Q. How to Prevent Bloating After Drinking Protein Powder?
Here are some ways to avoid bloating after having protein powder:
- Don’t make your drink excessive frothy.
- Make a habit of drinking slowly.
- Add herbs to your diet.
- Avoid other gas inducing carbs like lactose containing products, cheese, milk, lentils etc.
- You may look for simethicone and activated charcoal but must use it after getting proper knowledge.
Q. Does Protein Powder Really Help?
Yes, high protein diets help you to build your muscle and also decrease your weight.
Protein powder contains high protein. So it helps to lower your appetite, increase metabolism and helps you to shed some fat giving you a good body shape just like you wanted! Along with this it also helps you gain muscle.
Initial mistake in choosing the right protein powder may dishearten you. But without doubt you will definitely find the one that works for you. You just need the proper guideline which will let you choose the most suitable one for you.
Natural ingredients rich protein powder will not only help your muscles grow but will also make you more healthy and maintain the proper functioning of your body.
I hope this guideline helps you throughout your search and leads you to pick the best one finally.