Pineapple is one of those foods that improve our body’s defenses. It is rich in antioxidants and has anti-cancer properties as well. It is also added to cakes and desserts to enhance their fruity flavor and taste. It is related to a family of citrus fruits.
So, is pineapple acidic?
You might have noticed while eating pineapple that it burns the corners of your mouth. According to the pH scale, its pH is 3 or 4. It means pineapple is highly acidic. It produces more acid in the stomach. This acid returns to the food pipe causing acid reflux or heartburn. This is the reason you feel burning sensations in your chest after eating pineapple.
In this article, I will discuss the nutritional profile of pineapple along with its various health benefits. Also, you’ll get to know whether pineapple is acidic or alkaline.
You may also like: Is Mustard Acidic?
Table of Content
- 1 Pineapple Nutrition Facts
- 2 Is Pineapple Acidic or Alkaline
- 3 Is Pineapple Good for an Acid Reflux
- 4 Pineapple Health Benefits And Side Effects
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- 6 Bottom Line
Pineapple Nutrition Facts
Before knowing about the impacts of eating pineapple on the human body, let me first tell you about its nutritional value.
A 100 gram of pineapple contains 50 calories. The table below depicts its nutritional information.
|Nutrients||% Daily Values|
|Total fats 0.1g||0%|
|Saturated fats 0g|
|Trans fats 0g|
|Polyunsaturated fats 0g|
|Monounsaturated fats 0g|
|Sodium 1 mg||0%|
|Potassium 109 mg||3%|
|Total carbs 10g||4%|
|Dietary fiber 1.4g||6%|
All these nutrients including vitamins and minerals make pineapple a good food staple to include in daily diet. But always keep in mind to eat pineapples in moderation.
Is Pineapple Acidic or Alkaline
Why does pineapple hurt my stomach? This is a common question in people who eat a lot of pineapples or drink pineapple juice for heartburn.
The burning sensation you feel at the corner of your lips and in your stomach after eating pineapple is because pineapple is acidic.
The pH of pineapple is around 3-4.
If any food has a pH of 7, it is considered neutral. Less than this pH are acidic foods and pineapple is one of them.
The acidity of pineapple can be determined by the fact that it can cause gastric ulcers to aggravate. It can also produce more acid in your stomach.
On the other hand, it may have certain health benefits.
So, Is pineapple good for the stomach? Yes, pineapple can be good for the stomach but not good for stomach ulcers.
The fiber content of pineapple can help relieve constipation. Also, it can help in the proper digestion of food.
But if you’re already suffering from gastritis or stomach ulcers, pineapple is not good for you.
You may also like: Are Raspberries Acidic or Basic?
Is Pineapple Good for an Acid Reflux
The burning sensations that you feel in your stomach after eating pineapple are called acid reflux. It is caused by several different foods, especially those that are acidic.
However, several foods can help get rid of it.
The question is, Is pineapple good for heartburn or acid reflux? Eating a lot of pineapples can produce too much acid in your stomach. This acid becomes the cause of producing acid reflux or heartburn.
So, does pineapple reduce acid reflux? Not at all! Rather Pineapple aggravates acid reflux.
Pineapple has the ability to relax the lower esophageal sphincter of the stomach. Due to this, the acid from the stomach returns to the food pipe or esophagus. This can cause heartburn.
So, if you were wondering ‘does pineapple help GERD’, then the answer is no. Regardless, consuming it in moderation may not cause as much harm.
You may also like: Is Kiwi Good For Acid Reflux?
Pineapple Health Benefits And Side Effects
There are a lot of different ways to eat pineapples. Similarly, they can have different health benefits too.
This is because of the handsome amount of vitamins and minerals present in pineapple. However, eating too much of it can be harmful.
Let’s see the common health benefits and side effects of eating pineapples.
Health Benefits of Pineapple:
Pineapples are not only rich in taste, but also have a lot of healing properties. Here is a list of advantages that a human body can get by eating pineapples.
- Pineapples contain a lot of vitamin C that encourages the absorption of iron in your body.
- Pineapple can stimulate the process of weight loss. This is because it is low in calories and high in nutrition.
- Pineapple is the best way to satisfy the sweet tooth and cravings by adding the chopped pineapple to your dessert.
- Bromelain present in pineapples is good to treat certain digestive disorders and also reduce the risk of diarrhea.
- Pineapples contain manganese that promotes the growth of healthy bones and increases bone mineral density.
- Pineapples contain a great number of antioxidants. These antioxidants can fight cancer and other damages caused by free radicals.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of pineapple can reduce the risk of chronic inflammatory diseases.
- Pineapples contain a lot of healthy nutrients that can boost immunity and help you get rid of certain infectious diseases.
- Pineapple is considered one of the best foods to be used as a remedy against cold, flu, and fever.
- Potassium and other minerals present in pineapple can maintain your blood pressure.
All these nutrients make pineapple an amazing fruit to avail a variety of health benefits.
Side Effects of Eating Pineapple:
Although pineapples are beneficial to health, overeating pineapple can have certain side effects. Here is a list of common adverse effects of eating pineapple, observed in a few individuals.
- The high sugar content of pineapple can cause hyperglycemia and is not good for people with diabetes.
- Pineapple is highly acidic, so it can cause tooth decay and dental caries.
- Pineapple has a high amount of acid in it that can interfere with certain medications.
- Pineapples may increase the risk of miscarriage in pregnant women.
- Canned pineapple has a high amount of additives that can be harmful to health.
Because of these side effects of pineapple, one must be careful about the quantity of pineapple while eating it. In a moderate amount, pineapple can be advantageous to health.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is Pineapple good for nausea?
Nausea is an uncomfortable sensation that is usually due to the improper digestion of food in the stomach. It may be due to bacteria present in some food that can cause food poisoning. Whatever might be the cause of nausea, pineapple can be helpful to relieve nausea.
Is pineapple good for ulcers?
Pineapple is not good for stomach ulcers. The reason is that ulcers or Gastritis can cause the inflammation of the mucosal lining of the stomach. Pineapple has an acidic nature, so it can stimulate acid production in your stomach which can further worsen stomach ulcers.
Do pineapples cause constipation?
No, pineapples don’t cause constipation, rather it relieves constipation. The fiber present in pineapple can ease constipation. But if you’re suffering from gastritis, eating pineapple can cause constipation as it further increases the inflammation of the stomach wall leading to improper digestion of food.
Is Pineapple acidic? Yes, pineapple is highly acidic.
Most of the time, people avoid it to prevent acid reflux or heartburn. But it also has certain advantages that cannot be ignored.
So, if you’re avoiding it simply because of fear of getting gastroesophageal reflux, you might be wrong. Eating pineapple in a moderate quantity is very important to enjoy its amazing benefits for health.