Levemir Suddenly Not Working- What to do?
Diabetes being one of the rising diseases around the world has caught much attention from researchers for the last few years. As an outcome of this, huge improvements such as advanced medication and insulin came to light and are working effectively to treat diabetes.
The treatment of diabetes depends upon the severity of your condition. And for this assessment, the doctor is the only one you should trust. But some basic knowledge about the treatment you are receiving will help you to relate with your doctor.
That’s exactly why I’m here today. In this article- ‘Levemir not working’, I will introduce you to the man-made insulin ‘Levemir’ and narrate the probabilities for which it might not work for you.
Table of Content
Why Levemir Does Not Always Work?
If the Levemir does not work for you, it does not mean that the drug is faulty. It generally implies that your body is facing certain conditions for which it might not work for you.
Here are some of the conditions:
- If your dose adjustment is not correct
Sometimes, it might happen that the dose prescribed by the physician might not be enough for your body. So, in case the dose given is not working consult your doctor right away.
Moreover, to understand the prescription of the doctor and also to relate with him, you need to have some basic knowledge regarding the forms of it. This will prevent you from making any mistakes.
Take a look at the two forms of Levemir:
- 10ml multiple-dose vial
- 3ml Flextouch prefilled pen
- If your diet consists of excessive sweet foods
Levemir does not work on its own. You need to maintain a healthy diet even while on Levemir. So, if you are in Levemir and yet having a lot of sweet foods, then it might not work for you.
- In case you are not being able to give the insulin properly i.e, there might be a technical fault.
Infusion of insulin needs to be accurate in case you need it to work for you. It needs to get mixed with the bloodstream properly in order to work on your glucose level.
- In the event you are taking any drug like steroids then you need to adjust the dosage properly as a high dose might be required.
Levemir might not work for you as it may interact with other drugs. There are some drugs like steroid which may affect the function of insulin and hinder its proper utilization.
- In case you are suffering from any infection, low dose Levemir might not work for you.
Different infections also hinder the proper working capacity of the Levemir.
- Levemir can also cause some side effects if you have hypersensitivity. If you experience an allergic reaction, then the medicine will certainly not work. Instead, it may create some adverse effects.
- Levemir might also be bad for you in case you are using it in spite of having Levemir contradictions. Following are the Levemir contraindications:
- If you are facing hypoglycemia after insertion of Levemir
- In case you have hypersensitivity to Levemir or any of its components. It is suggested to refrain from it.
Side Effects of Levemir
Here are certain situations that are considered as the Levemir side effects:
Common side effects:
- Allergic reaction in the entire body
- Levemir injection site reactions like swelling, bruising, or redness
- Lipodystrophy (skin thickening at the site of injection)
- If Levemir is taken with thiazolidinediones, swelling may appear in the upper and lower limbs.
- Weight gain
- Low blood sugar where you might experience sweating, confusion, headache, anxiety, and irritability. Insulin detemir administration may also cause mood swings.
Seek medical help in case you experience certain severe conditions:
- Trouble in breathing
- Fast heartbeat
- Shortness of breath
- Extreme drowsiness
- Swelling of the tongue, throat, or face
Low potassium level. Here you may notice increase urination or thirst, muscle weakness, numbness, or tingling. There can also be the presence of constipation and leg cramps.
Remedies of Levemir non-functionality
The first thing you should consider while you are facing any kind of problem with Levemir is visiting the doctor. A doctor is the only one you can trust if Levemir does not work. He will be able to fix your dosages and adjust it if it’s insufficient.
The proper way of infusing any kind of insulin is very important in case you want the insulin to work perfectly for you. Take a glance at the following tips for proper usage:
- Consider using Levemir precisely as recommended by your physician. Stick to each and every direction written on the instruction sheets. Also carefully read the Levemir dosage prescribed by the doctor.
- Infuse Levemir subcutaneously into the thigh, upper arm, or around the umbilicus.
- Levemir is infused below the skin. So, seek help from a healthcare provider in case you are a beginner and have not given any injection before.
- Set up an infusion just when you are prepared to give it.
- Try not to utilize it if the medication shows any color changes. Additionally, notice if there are any other particles in it, or looks cloudy. Contact your drug specialist for a fresh medication.
- Choose a distinct place each time you give an infusion. Try not to infuse into a similar spot multiple times in succession.
- Avoid the medication infusion into tender, damaged, thickened, and pitted skin. Be careful if there is the presence of a hard lump or scar.
- Take the medicine at night, if you use it once every day. But if it’s twice a day, take the evening and morning dose at 12 hours intervals.
- Your physician may need you to likewise utilize short-acting insulin. Remember to infuse your insulins at separate times. Levemir should not be infused with an insulin pump or blended in with different insulins. Try not to infuse into the muscle or a vein.
- In the event that you utilize a Levemir penfill, utilize just the infusion pen that accompanies Levemir.
- Append another needle before each utilization. Avoid transferring the insulin into a syringe from the pen.
- Never share the injection with someone else even if the needle has been changed.
- You may have low glucose (hypoglycemia) and feel ravenous, bleary-eyed, restless, or unstable. To rapidly control hypoglycemia, eat foods like candy, crackers, fruit, or raisins. You can consider having drinks like juice and non-diet soda.
- Physicians may recommend glucagon in case you are having serious hypoglycemia. Be certain your family can give an injection during an emergency.
- Likewise, watch for manifestations of high glucose (hyperglycemia). They include an increased urge of urination or an enhanced feeling of thirst.
Giving up the excessive intake of sweet food is necessary if you want the insulin to work. None of the diabetic treatment will work if you continue to take nourishments with sugar in them. So try to refrain from them as much as possible.
Strictly maintain a healthy diet given by your dietitian. Also, consider being active rather than sitting idle all day. A 30-minute walk in the morning or evening may also help you with maintaining blood glucose levels.
Other than these, you can try blood sugar maintaining supplements like Blood sugar premier to keep the glucose level at an optimum level.
Be conscious of the side effects and contradictions of Levemir in order to avoid any severe health problems.
Try out alternatives to Levemir. Some alternatives can be:
- Insulin glargine (Basaglor, Lantus)
- Insulin degludec (Tresiba)
Know the perfect way of storing the Levemir injection. Otherwise, it might be ineffective in maintaining your blood sugar.
Storage of Levemir
The storage of intact and used Levemir might be a bit different. Take a look:
- Levemir (intact) storage:
- You can use it until the expiration date but should be kept in the freeze.
It is a must to use it within 42 days if stored at room temperature.
- Levemir (in use) storage:
- In the case of the vial, it can be stored in the freezer, or if kept at room temperature it should be used within 42 days.
The injection pen should not be stored in the freeze rather it should be kept at room temperature and needs to be used within 42 days. Try not to store the injection pen while keeping the needle attached to it.
Levemir is a long-acting insulin that is generally infused at night so the chance of insulin spikes is reduced. This insulin is preferable for all and does not normally show any adverse effects.
This article – ’Levemir not working’ gives a complete insight into the reasons behind its non-affectivity. Additionally mentions the remedies for it. So, don’t panic and take a glance at it!
The FAQs Levemir
- What is the Price of Levemir?
Levemir subcutaneous solution (100 units/ml) costs about $397.68 for 10 milliliters supply on online websites. Here, the price of a Levemir flexpen or Levemir pen (3ml, 100 IU/ml) is $113.75 per pen. But these Levemir flexpen prices or Levemir vial price might vary from pharmacy to pharmacy.
You may also find Levemir flexpen coupons on different online sites. With this offer, the price might reduce a bit.
- When to split Levemir dose?
Levemir is generally taken twice a day on the basis of the severity.
But some people complain about it. If they take the injection around 7-8 pm, then its effect might end at around 3-5 am.
This causes a blood sugar spike and might disturb your sleep. In this case, it is said to split the evening dose and take it in two halves.
- Why take Levemir at night?
When blood glucose is steady, basal insulin makes a change of 30mg/deciliter maximum. So, your physician will likely recommend infusing the insulin at night before sleeping. But remember this is only applicable if you have a perfect sugar level at night.