When we were kids our Mom always told us to eat our breakfast because it’s the most important meal of the day, but did you ever stop to think why that is? In today’s short article we’re going to share with you why eating a healthy breakfast is so important.
A new study from Instantly (a consumer insights platform for market research) that surveyed 10,000 people found that more than 53% of Americans skip breakfast at least once a week, and 12% never have breakfast.
Table of Content
Here are three reasons why you should be eating a healthy breakfast
- Breakfast is important because after 6 – 10 hours of sleep our bodies have used up all the food energy from the previous day.
- Breakfast is important because when you wake up your blood sugar levels will be low. Even a small breakfast will help kick-start your metabolism and helps you burn more calories throughout the day.
- Breakfast is important because it replenishes your glucose levels giving you the energy you need for better performance (memory & attention) for people of all ages throughout the day.
Some healthy breakfast ideas are:
- Oatmeal is a healthy option because it’s packed with soluble fiber which helps reduce your bad cholesterol. Oatmeal has slow-release carbohydrates which help you feel fuller for longer, curbing your appetite and controlling blood sugar levels.
- Fruits, such as blueberries, pineapple, banana, etc… Fruits are a healthy breakfast option because they are loaded with essential vitamins like A, C & E.
- Yogurt and/or Cottage Cheese unless your lactose intolerant is a great breakfast option due to its high protein and calcium content
- Fruit and yogurt smoothie, by combining a low-fat, high protein yogurt with some of your favorite fruits in a blender you can create your own homemade smoothies.
- Eggs are a great source of essential nutrients and vitamins, low in calories and high in protein. They also have nutrients that protect your eyes from harmful blue light.
It’s not just breakfast that helps keep you healthy.
Have you ever taken the time to think about how much news we watch in the mornings? Millions of Americans wake up every morning and at least 50% watch the news while either eating or skipping breakfast.
Watching the news early in the morning whether we eat breakfast or not negatively affects our health. The news always captivates our minds with tragedy and misfortune. Most of the news we watch is negative which places and draws forth more negative thoughts which raises our blood pressure and releases cortisone.
There are literally thousands of different healthy breakfast options available, but you must make the conscious decision to choose healthy over unhealthy. What may seem easy and convenient like a fast-food drive-thru when your running late doesn’t always equal healthy even if the fast food place says it is. It only takes a few simple minutes each day to prepare a simple nutritious healthy breakfast.